Can you swing a rope with accuracy? If you can then you've got part of the skill set required to master the Minute To Win It game Knock it Off. The game requires some self control and good aim, and a bit of luck never hurts either.
Your goal in Knock it Off is to swing a ball of yarn around in circles, knocking empty soda cans down without also knocking over the full soda cans they're standing on. It's not a difficult game to play once you get a feel for the distance and height of the cans.
Here's what you'll need in order to set up and play the game at home:
- One ball of yarn, the round kind not the oval-shaped kind
- Five full soda cans, standard size
- Five empty soda cans, standard size
- Five small tables, milk crates, or other sturdy object, all in different heights
- A one-minute timer or stop watch
How to Play
First you'll need to set up the game. Place the tables in a wide circle - the contestant will stand in the center of the circle, but he or she can move around so don't worry about placing the tables too far away from the middle. On each table, place one full soda can and then one empty soda can on top of it. Then, unwind a generous length of yarn from the ball of yarn and secure the end closest to the ball with a knot. This will prevent the entire ball from unwinding as soon as the player starts swinging it around.
To begin the game, the player stands in the center of the circle of tables, holding the ball of yarn. When the one minute timer begins, the player starts swinging the ball of yarn in a circle, making the circle wider or smaller by adjusting how much yarn is let out. You can do this lasso-style or by turning your body around. The object is to knock over only the empty cans, leaving the full soda cans in place on their tables.
Depending on how difficult you want to make the game, the contestant must successfully knock down three or four out of the five cans in one minute or less to win the game. Both numbers have been used on the show depending on the money ladder position the player was in.
TIP: Play this game outside if at all possible, or use tarps or other drop cloths to cover your indoor floor and nearby furniture. Full soda cans are likely to go flying, and if they get holes in them or the pop tops actually pop, you'll be looking at a dandy mess. You might also want to keep some towels handy.
The rules for Knock it Off are fairly simple:
- If at any time the string from the ball of yarn leaves your hand, the game is over.
- You may not touch the ball itself or any of the cans or tables with any body part (though if the ball hits you by accident that's okay - you just can't use your body to push it into the cans).
- If a full can falls keep going until you have no shot at all at getting the number of empty cans needed to win the game.
Tips and Tricks
Start off swinging in small circles and then make them bigger by letting out more string. Aim for the tallest tables first so you don't accidentally hit them while aiming for the lower ones. As always, practicing will help you learn to control the elements of the game.
The blueprint with video instructions for this game can be found at NBC.com.