1. Entertainment
Carrie Grosvenor

GSN Bringing Lingo Back with New Host

By January 13, 2011

Good news arrived in my inbox this evening via GSN! They're bringing back their popular word game Lingo, with production starting soon. The original order is for 40 episodes, and they'll start airing this June.

Sadly, Chuck Woolery will not be returning. The new host will be Blue Collar comic Bill Engvall, who was one of the hosts for the pilot of Trust Me I'm a Game Show Host last year. He's a funny guy, and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does with the show.

GSN is really going all out so far this year, with Lingo and Drew Carey's Improv-A-Ganza, and I wish them the best of luck with both shows! We'll hopefully have casting info on Lingo available shortly.

Photo courtesy GSN

Comments

January 13, 2011 at 7:07 pm
(1) Chad Mosher says:

In my opinion, the good news is that Lingo’s back! It’s not really bad news that Bill Engvall is the host, it’s more like, why? There’s not much personality needed to host this one, so while Engvall is talented at what he does, I think he seems out of place here

June 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm
(2) marianne parsons says:

AGREE.I WATCH THE SHOW MAINLY FOR CHUCK WOOLERY. This new guy is annoying……

June 27, 2011 at 5:21 pm
(3) Gil Longmire says:

In my opinion the new LINGO game is good.I enjoy watching it.The thing that I do not like about it is the fact that I am tired of watching rerun after rerun.For A show that has been on the air for A short Time. I feel that your ratings will drop tremendously because of them. It is to the point now that I change channels when A rerun comes on and that is quite frequently. If this does not improve I will start watching something else. Gil L LOngmire Jr. Montana.

January 13, 2011 at 7:10 pm
(4) Carrie says:

I don’t know – I think maybe Engvall can inject some personality into it. Woolery could host anything (even that cat thing) and I’d watch it, but Lingo always played out like an independent cable show. The game itself is awesome though, so it worked.

Maybe it needs a bit of humour to really set it off?

January 13, 2011 at 7:36 pm
(5) Wayne says:

I just hope they skip the co-host, no need to have someone sit at a fake computer, we all know they brought nothing to the table.

Who says Chuck doesn’t have personality and humor?

I always liked this show and I’m glad to see it back, but I was wondering if I was the only one (or one of the few) who felt the bonus round needed a little something more. The two minutes were great, but then the show grinds to a halt at what should be it’s biggest moment while someone fishes for “the ball”.

Here’s also hoping they do the jackpot again, $5K is low budget, especially for a rarely won prize, and only added to the cable access show feel.

May 10, 2011 at 12:37 pm
(6) CandiO says:

I’m with you on all counts. I liked Shandi as a personality (and she IS gorgeous), but she was definitely all eye candy on the show. Whenever Chuck referred to her as the “judge,” it made me laugh out loud.

Updated information looks very good: http://tv.gsn.com/shows/lingo/. Note that Engvall says there’s a $100K jackpot; I wonder what players would need to do to get to that prize level! Probably some super luck with the balls.

June 21, 2011 at 3:46 pm
(7) Pete says:

I agree with you that the co-host should be skiped. I have nothing against the new host but I like Chuck Wolery. I wonder why they did not renew his contract. Maybe Chuck will have something else. He looks in shape and young for a guy who is 70!

January 13, 2011 at 7:44 pm
(8) Carrie says:

“Who says Chuck doesn’t have personality and humor?”

Yeah, that wasn’t worded very well on my part. I just meant that he never really let loose on Lingo like he could on The Dating Game. Maybe GSN will give Engvall that kind of opportunity considering he’s first and foremost a comedian.

January 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm
(9) Wayne says:

Someone’s tired tonight, here’s my best Tone Loc:

The Looooooooooooooooooooovvvvvveeee Connection…

June 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm
(10) lynn says:

Can someone please twll me how to audition for lingo or how to become a contestant?

January 14, 2011 at 2:20 pm
(11) Mark Baker-Wright says:

I’m hardly surprised at this point, but 40 episodes of a 5-times-a-week show is just really small….

January 14, 2011 at 3:25 pm
(12) Jer says:

Wayne, they should keep the co-host because Shandi is hot!

January 14, 2011 at 10:40 pm
(13) Wayne says:

I don’t disagree with you on that part, but if that’s all it takes to get you to sit down and watch a show, you’re not watching the show.

I knew why the producers put in the co-host, but it didn’t do anything for the game.

January 14, 2011 at 9:19 pm
(14) Jason S. says:

I really liked Shandi, Chuck and she had good chemistry. Lingo won’t be the same without Chuck and Shandi.

Did we hear anything about casting for this? (more out of curiosity, because I’d bet it’ll take place in LA again, well out of my reach)

I think that Lingo was best when it had the progressive Jackpot, where 1k was added each time they didn’t give away the top prize. It would make the show less cheap, 5k always made me roll my eyes a little consider two people had to split it. Not much of a grand prize if it’s just enough to cover your airfare, hotel and your visa bill this month.

January 17, 2011 at 3:10 pm
(15) DJ says:

I’ve been a fan of Chuck Woolery from 1975, but thought Lingo one of his weaker efforts. Many times it seemed as if he was just there to pick up a paycheck.

My concern is that they will take a show I used to help my kids learn to spell and trash it up like they have done everything else. Can you imagine…

P E _ I S

January 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm
(16) Chad says:

I’m not sure how adding Bill Engvall, someone who has proved to be a fairly family-friendly comedian, would cause you to think the show will become “filthy.” They’ve had some “dirty” words on the show before, like “horny.”

May 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm
(17) Sharon Byrd says:

I also have been a fan of Churck Woolery since the 1970′s.
I feel like when one door closed for Lingo another door will open for him. I really loved Chuck on Greed and Love Connection. I do think Lingo is an educational show.

June 15, 2011 at 11:24 pm
(18) JES says:

They did!!! I am a big fan of game shows … especially word games, like: Password, $25,000 Pyramid, Chain Reaction and Lingo. I’ve watched the new Lingo a few times and am very disappointed. Bill now gives a clue for each word, and many of these clues have sexual connotations or bathroom humor. I’m really no prude, but this type of humor is just overused and has no place on a game where people are supposed to be halfway intelligent. I just think it ruins the show, and I’m not impressed. Bill talks too much — can’t stand it!

January 20, 2011 at 9:59 am
(19) kathie says:

As of Feb 1, 2011 no more GSN unless I subscribe to a sports package from cablevision. What a disgrace to put GSN into a category that it is not even a part of just to make MONEY!!! I will miss the channel but cannot afford any more expenses for a channel that would be 90% not utilized. HELP

March 9, 2011 at 12:46 pm
(20) rybeaumom says:

I couldn’t stand watching Chuck Woolery crawling sexually all over Stacey Hayes-glad someone new is coming onboard-You Rock Bill Engvall.

March 15, 2011 at 5:47 pm
(21) Jewell says:

I love Bill Engvall, but won.t watch Lingo without Chuck Woolery. Will Chandy be back? She’s great

March 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm
(22) Joanna Crilly says:

I love Chuck as host of LINGO, but PLEASE, PLEASE put some clothes on the co-host. I love the game and so do my kids, but I do NOT like the immodest way she dresses. It is frustrating to have to see her boobs hanging out almost every episode.

Can’t something be done about this???

May 9, 2011 at 3:18 pm
(23) Lou says:

What nonsense. Typical American prude. Go tell your kids to play with their guns.

March 31, 2011 at 11:21 pm
(24) Old school game show lover says:

Does anyone know who the director will be?

May 10, 2011 at 7:33 am
(25) steven says:

Why couldn’t Carrie Ann Inaba host the show instead.

May 29, 2011 at 3:21 pm
(26) Lamontae says:

Chuck Woolery is a great host and Shandi is a great co-host with the computer. This new season will not have little balls with numbers on it. They will have big balls with numbers on it.

June 7, 2011 at 7:13 pm
(27) marianne parsons says:

I have been a fan of Chuck Woolery for many years. Even my mother who is 98 loves Chuck. I will not watch the show with this new guy. From what I’ve seen it looks stupid. Too many gimmicks etc. Chuck and Shamey are so sweet together and the show is paced just right etc. I don’t get it. Maybe it’s Chucks call, I hope so. Very sad to see it change. All the good TV keeps ending. Good luck to you Chuck Woolery, I’ve been a fan for a very long time. Marianne, Santa Monica, CA.

June 9, 2011 at 3:17 pm
(28) matt says:

Wow, the new version is awful. They managed to destroy the show.

June 13, 2011 at 2:30 am
(29) John says:

I am happy Lingo is back but not happy with a new host.I wonder if Chuck Woorley was offered the chance to return hosting Lingo.He is more well known and more funnier.

June 14, 2011 at 3:31 pm
(30) Bob says:

My wife and I have watched Lingo forever. In fact we have been watching the GSN since it started but show by show we are changing channels. Love connection, now Lingo, I suppose Password will be next. Why, well as I was reading these replies on the show I am watching Lingo right now. I guess this was one of Engall’s clues as he said “Let’s just bitch the pimp”. It’s a darn shame that the producers of GSN have to conform to the vulgar morals of today especially since the network got so popular on the morals of “yesterday”.

June 15, 2011 at 11:31 pm
(31) JES says:

I absolutely agree. Tonight’s clue — “He married the bitch.” Tramp … from a Disney movie. If I wanted to see a lack of writing ability when well-paid writers regress to 8 year-old humor, I’d watch “The Family Guy.”

June 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm
(32) Brenda Klein says:

I am a fan of Bill Engval but don’t like him in this format. Enjoyed the series he had better or as a commedian. The new format of Lingo but for me I cant read the board as well when a letter is in place I can hardly see that it is covered.
I thought the prize for playing the old way was cheap but now people are making even less.

June 26, 2011 at 3:15 pm
(33) carolyn smith says:

Chuck was what made the show, I hope he get a much better gig. This host is boring and the bowling ball thing is dum.

July 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm
(34) Sam says:

I miss the old lingo. This show used to be a great family show. Now, with the new annoying host, the show is inappropriate for kids to watch.

July 25, 2011 at 1:16 pm
(35) grandmat says:

I do not like the new host on Lingo. i have stopped watching it and wish Chuck Woolery were back

July 29, 2011 at 11:18 pm
(36) Bonnie Ballantyne says:

when will lingo start airing new shows they are in repeats have been for a while

August 17, 2011 at 5:20 pm
(37) Dermot says:

I watched the premiere back in June and I think Bill Engvall is a total jerk. I like Chuck Woolery better. Why did they choose Engvall as the host. while I was on summer vacation I saw a sign at a theater with Bill Engvall as the entertainer. I’m Was happy not to be there.

August 22, 2011 at 9:52 am
(38) Shirley says:

I really liked Chuck Woolery, been watching him since the
70′s on Love Connection, Greed and Lingo. He made the
show. Do not like the new Lingo. Hopefully we will see
Chuck again on another show. Tks.

October 16, 2011 at 10:30 pm
(39) Franck says:

PLEASE, PLEASE get Chuck Worley back for the host. The new host is sooooooooooooo bad.

October 29, 2011 at 6:34 pm
(40) nancy lewis says:

Miss Chuck Woolery. WHY did you change? WE need him.

December 29, 2011 at 12:18 am
(41) Lauren says:

Chuck is fowl and disgusting he is old and out dated and so are the rest of you that like him. He does nothin but flirt with that chick pretty much the entire show and it’s really annoying. At least they got someone from blue collar comedy he might not be the funniest person alive but he is better than some dirty outdated old man… Lol…;-)

January 12, 2012 at 12:33 pm
(42) kim gilmore says:

bring Chuck back… not the same without him.

January 13, 2012 at 1:16 pm
(43) deb . says:

I FELT UNINTERESTED IN WATCHING LINGO AFTER A REPLACEMENT FOR CHUCK WOOLERY …. THE NEW PERSON WAS NOT OF THE APPROACH THAT CHUCK DID, MAKING IT INTERESTING. THE FEMALE WITH CHUCK COULD BE LEFT OUT AS SHOWN TODAY 1/13/12.
SHE MADE A FEW TOO MANY PERSONAL COMMENTS. .SHE FLIRTED AND IT DIDN’T GO WITH THE SHOW. SHE THREW IN PERSONAL COMMENTS TOO MANY TIMES.

AS A VIEWER, I’M THERE TO PLAY THE GAME WITH/AGAINST THE PLAYERS TO SEE IF I COULD GET THE ANSWERS BEFORE THEY DID. JUST PLAIN FUN!!!

THE NEW STYLE THAT WAS ON IN THE EVENINGS DIDN’T HAVE THE CHARM OF CHUCK..

January 21, 2012 at 8:19 pm
(44) Janet Rhodes says:

PLEASE PLEASE BRING BACK CHUCK WOOLERY. HE IS HEAD AND SHOULDERS OVER THE NEW GUY. HE DOESN’T NEED THE VERY INAPPROPRIATELY DRESSED GIRL AS AN ATTRATION EITHER AS HE HANDLES IT SO VERY WELL BY HIMSELF. HIS HUMOR DOESN’T HAVE TO BE BASED ON SNIDE INUENDOS EITHER LIKE
THE CURRENT HOST SEEMS TO THINK ARE SO FUNNY.

January 24, 2012 at 12:49 pm
(45) Yractrebor says:

Bring back Chuck Woolery to Lingo!! Bill Engvall sadly sucks this show now bite the bullet bad GSN Executives are morons!!

February 9, 2012 at 4:11 pm
(46) Jl says:

I won’t watch the new LINGO with Bill Engvall anymore. Engvall turns
LINGO clues into sexual innuendos, and then turns to the audience saying “This audience has dirty minds, and I love it.”

He is so disappointing and I want to know, is he doing this himself or going along with the network to do this kind of thing? I won’t watch BAGGAGE or the new game shows with Sherri or Wendy. Just plain garbage. Enough is enough. Even when we find a family show to watch together we get a filthy commercial with someone taking off their clothes or is saying something disgusting.

Don’t these people realize that raising children is hard enough these days? They all have kids themselves, Don’t they want their own children to grow up without all the filth they’re talking on the television? I love game shows, but if I have to turn them off I will do it!

Thank you for letting me post this comment.

March 3, 2012 at 10:35 am
(47) ed cage says:

Get rid of Bill Envall and bring back Chuck and Shandi

March 15, 2012 at 3:16 pm
(48) Marlene Lippman says:

I really like the game but i don’t like Engval. At the end when the contestants have 90 seconds to solve the words he is a jerk by saying how much time they have left & also keeps saying go ahead & through out a word……I feel he makes them very nervous & if he kept his mouth shut maybe they would do better………….Again maybe they tell him to do that so they can’t win the big money. That’s the impression that i get.

PS Get him some good looking clothes………he dresses awful.

July 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm
(49) Terry says:

I have been a viewer of GSN since they started and I find it getting worse and worse all the time. As a senior, game shows are my way of keeping my mind active, and I’m sure many of your vieweres are seniors. Some of the shows are pure smut like Drew Cary which I predicted would not last and the new lingo host Bill Engvall makes something dirty out of everything. Since when did dancing with the stars become a game.
Ther are so many game shows you could be putting on all reruns of course and I.m sure most viewers would be only to happy to see some of these showslike name that tune tic tac toe and jokers wild.

March 5, 2013 at 11:53 am
(50) Denise says:

Love Lingo – find the new host disturbing and annoying.

July 16, 2013 at 12:40 pm
(51) Lynnette says:

can’t believe Lingo repeats are off GSN again??????????? My grandson & I watch Woolery re-runs all the time, its his favorite spelling game(he is 7). One of the only things I let him watch because he’s learning something. Please bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!