1. Entertainment

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Carrie Grosvenor

Rich Fields Out at The Price is Right

By July 16, 2010

Well this isn't exactly the news from CBS that I wanted to hear today, but here it is.

Just over a month ago speculation was rampant about Rich Fields leaving The Price is Right, and now it looks like a done deal. Apparently Price will be holding a series of on-air auditions, and these auditions will begin on Monday.

We have no details at this point as to why or how this happened, or whether Fields left or was let go. I'm sure the rumors will be swirling quite a bit until the truth comes out.

No matter what the reasons are behind Fields' departure, I wish him the best in whatever direction his career takes him. It's hard to imagine The Price is Right without him, especially considering the great chemistry he's had with host Drew Carey for the past few years. That said, best of luck to those auditioning for the gig. Fields' replacement will have big shoes to fill, but I'm confident the right announcer will be found.

Update: Rich Fields has addressed the situation, and you can see his statement over at his website. It seems that, rather than an announcer, Price will be auditioning for an improv comic to take Fields' place. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. It could definitely work, but it's a very big leap from what we're used to. I'm not one of those people who freaks out when things change, but I'm not sold on having a comic instead of an announcer for this particular game show.

Photo courtesy CBS

Comments

July 17, 2010 at 2:09 pm
(1) Eric Pierce says:

With Drew’s Improv associations and Whose Line history I can’t help but wonder if this is a sweetheart deal for one of Drew’s friends…

Staying positive, adding comedy to TPIR could be funny…

Returning to negative, remember that old axiom “If it ain’t broke…” Yeah, Rich Fields was one of the most consistent parts of TPIR.

Someone prep the ramp, motorcycle and shark.

July 24, 2011 at 6:53 am
(2) pajama jeans says:

Stop hating on Drew, he’s the man!

July 17, 2010 at 5:18 pm
(3) andrew b says:

Here’s what I find wrong with this new change. I didn’t really enjoy Rich Fields all that much, but whether he was good or bad means nothing in this situation.

The show admits it is now heading in a new direction…which means they admit the previous “new direction” of firing The Dob and all the other unpopular changes didn’t work very well. So shouldn’t the indicated direction be to return to the Season 36 style, if not the same staff?

July 17, 2010 at 7:26 pm
(4) Carrie says:

Eric, that’s the first thought I had too, that we’d be seeing Brad Sherwood or someone else from Whose Line soon.

Andrew, I can see where you’d draw that conclusion. My own line of thinking is more that they began this “new direction” by firing Roger, and are continuing to implement it a little at a time. Getting rid of Rich Fields is just the next step in the progression.

July 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm
(5) andrew b says:

What matters in the television world is not whether Mike thinks the changes are good – it’s whether WE think the changes are good…and so far, almost nobody likes the idea of the improv comic…

July 18, 2010 at 9:19 am
(6) Myke25 says:

It’s seems to me that they liked what they saw with Jonathan Mangum on Let’s Make a Deal. And more spontaneity on TPIR isn’t necessarily a bad thing. So, while it may suck for Rich and Rich’s fans, I’ll wait until I see the new guy. This could be a good thing.

Andrew,
Stop watching the show…for the love of Dob and all you hold holy…please stop watching the damn show.
That is the only thing you can do to affect change…and only if millions of you do it. Ranting on blogs about “new directions” and “firing Dob” doesn’t seem to have been working for you. And some of us actually like the “new direction” over the past few years.

And you have no freakin’ idea what matters in the television world…outside of watching it. So please stop trying to convince those of us who DO work in it that you know more than we do.

July 18, 2010 at 10:30 am
(7) andrew b says:

Let’s Make a Deal is designed to contain more spontaneity and craziness – it’s an equal part of the format. The Price is Right’s comedy is secondary to the game at all times. (Whose Line, by contrast, had the “game”, if there was any, completely subordinate to the comedy.)

I don’t see how this new direction is likely to fit the purity of the show…and even if it does, it just pretty much turns TPiR into a 21st-century LMaD.

So by telling me that the way we can affect change is by watching or not watching the show…it’s true, then, that it matters only whether we think the show is good.

Besides, Mike Richards is so inexperienced that many of us actually do know more than he does…

July 18, 2010 at 1:01 pm
(8) Wayne says:

All the complaining and whining about the changes have been insane and pointless.

I’ve been watching the show since I was two years old (I hate to admit it, but just for a point of reference for everyone, that would be 1975 people), and I can have a day off work and turn it on and it is still recognizable as the same show now as it was then. This really means the changes have not negatively affected the overall look and feel of the show.

Does anyone else even remember the original showdown wheel–it was like the Wheel of Fortune wheel but vertical with the entire face showing. Can you imagine the die-hards whining today if they still had that and in season 40 changed it to the wheel we all know and love today–I THINK THE INTERNET WOULD EXPLODE! And of course, how many would blame Drew…

And for whatever reason, I still miss how the contestants after spinning the wheel would stand on a platform with their score under them on a display like on contestants row. But that doesn’t change the show.

Guess what–the GAME is still there, and that’s what means the most. So just friggin’ get over it, and watch before hating.

July 18, 2010 at 3:23 pm
(9) Carrie says:

I think the main concern here is the “variety show within a game show” idea, which has the potential to take away from the game. Right now the show, minus commercials, runs about 40 minutes long. Add in more announcer/host banter, more skits in the showcases (I’m speculating here), and as Fields mentioned, more celebrities and musical acts. I don’t see any way that the game itself won’t suffer from that.

If Richards et al can pull off these additions and still keep the game intact, then more power to them. I’m really hoping that this all works – it does have the potential to be a success, but even I’m hesitant about the idea.

Of course there’s no point in jumping to conclusions though – there’s nothing we can do but wait and see for ourselves what will happen.

Andrew, I’m curious – how would you suggest that Fremantle should update the show to bring in a younger audience? Clearly keeping things exactly the same isn’t on the table, so what changes would make sense to you?

July 18, 2010 at 4:02 pm
(10) andrew b says:

The chief contributor to getting people back to the show…get back to rewards for contestants who pay attention. That’s always been a core element of the show. It’s pretty likely that a contestant dedicated enough to memorize prices would have probably won the game anyway.

The reason why this is so important is that watching prices is the ultimate play-along: watch frequently and you can WIN. Everyone working for the show understood that.

Also conveniently enough, the sort of people who would bother to memorize prices are likely of the key younger demographic, and one in the senior citizens pool is a rare bird.

We’ve gone over the implications of audience help…it really doesn’t make a big difference. There are too many things that could go wrong: the more complex the price memorization system, the easier it is for the whole thing to fall apart.

Helpers can’t get to EVERY taping; the more helpers there are, the more chance something key gets forgotten; helpers that spend long periods memorizing prices are probably wasting time they could use better by making money; prices can change fairly quickly; not everyone is willing to believe such helpers, particularly if they do mess up; the help can get lost in the loud studio…you really need to consider all these factors.

Roger was able to handle things well by asking contestants to back off for the greater good. He even hoped that someday there would be a Terry Kneiss…

July 19, 2010 at 12:23 pm
(11) Carrie says:

Andrew, that’s an interesting take, though not really what I was getting at. I don’t think this new direction has much to do with ringers in the audience – that’s really a completely different concern, and one that they’ve been dealing with fairly well.

What I meant was format changes. What would you change about the show itself to draw in a younger audience?

Everyone’s busy ripping on Mike Richards for changing the show, but I haven’t seen any suggestions that would work any better. (Still not sold on the variety show idea, but I do get that things need to be shaken up a bit.)

July 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm
(12) andrew b says:

If you mean by making it impossible for people to memorize anything when the execution of price memorization is so complex that it rarely makes a big difference, and those isolated incidents can be controlled…they haven’t been doing anything particularly well.

The format doesn’t need to change to get younger viewers. Putting Drew on the show – a real guy who cares about people and doesn’t have a nasty backstage reputation like Bob – already forced that change. Drew is edgy, funny, entertaining, and enjoys talking to people.

Other changes TPiR made within its format borders were very helpful: the return of foreign cars made the car department exciting again. Now that the show is steering away from the luxury barges and uninteresting economy cars, and hot imports like the Kia Soul are turning up, younger people want to win those.

Technology used in the right places is a huge help to TPiR. The classic look can be maintained simply by replicating the old props on the LCD screens; this would keep a large portion of the classic fanbase happy.

In 2010, time is of the greatest priority. There are many useful time-saving devices that can eliminate dead time in the show; contestants who didn’t hear bids in the Row, long-winded rule explanations, and uncertain or inattentive contestants slow the show down. Room can be freed up for more important issues. Every second is really crucial during this time.

I’ve proposed my video wall idea plenty of times: it allows contestants to decide on their bids quicker, not have to ask for bids to be repeated, not accidentally bid what someone else bid, and not make dumb moves that Drew has to confirm. If someone STILL makes a stupid move despite these safeguards, it’s far funnier in that case – the other dumb moves don’t give Drew as much comic material.

Games that are getting makeovers can get some edits that ease the game along quicker. Any Number’s 0-9 list is an example – however, it wasn’t used to the optimum extent. Crossing out the numbers simply reintroduces a previous problem of a contestant reading the list wrong (in comparison to the contestant’s mental list) or making them take longer to decide on their pick, delaying the game needlessly. (This was fixed on one playing by changing the background.)

3 Strikes, while it gets its makeover, needs some sort of chart that displays what has been tried. It’s not uncommon for contestants to try things twice accidentally, but even for those who have their picks memorized (very rare, and often prone to cracking under pressure), it would be easier and quicker to just be able to look at them like on Pocket Change.

This can actually make the one-strike format feasible to work again; incidentally, most 3 Strikes wins go quicker with one strike in the bag than with three, and quick losses caused by the three-strike format aren’t quite as quick as they should be because Drew has to throw the first and second strikes away. (Incidentally, having spare strike chips for emergencies also helps, but this makes almost no difference…)

It all comes down to, really, one maxim: Cut the crap. But make sure you know what you do and don’t need first.

July 19, 2010 at 7:08 pm
(13) Bryan Castle says:

I never cared for Rich Fields that much because Rod Roddy Janice Diane Holly Kathleen and of course Bob Barker and Mark Goodson created and owned the show as well in the eighties and nineties.

July 20, 2010 at 1:05 am
(14) Tallguytommy says:

Hey Fremantle, it’s about the game stupid.
I was a contestant in the early 90′s. I have always felt the show’s predictability was part of its charm.
I can handle Drew as the new host as Bob couldn’t go on forever. But they’ve tinkered with the simple formula that they’ve ruined it (see new Coke).
I find myself watching less and less. The hip prizes and the theme shows just leave me cold. The music has changed and my Price watching days are coming to a close.
Until Fremantle pulls clips from YouTube, that’s where I’ll get my Price fix.

July 20, 2010 at 6:26 pm
(15) Wayne (a different one) says:

Predictability was part of the shows charm and allure.
That’s why it was unchanged for so long, and did so well.
Excellent reference to the “new Coke” by a previous poster.
As with any TV show, when you see new characters and crazy plot lines, you know the ratings suck and they’re trying a last ditch attempt to save it.
TPIR is obviously in its death throes.

July 20, 2010 at 11:54 pm
(16) Myke25 says:

And for me, once I started to see that same $3.19 box of Hot Pockets every freakin’ day, I started to zone out. Gotta give the Perfect Showcase Guy some credit…he’s made TPIR interesting again. He forced them to shake stuff up.

Obviously many of you are content with the pride that comes with studying hard for the big test. And that’s fine.
I like a bit more of a challenge.
I like playing along more because I don’t know how much the football shaped BBQ costs… because it’s the third day its been on the show this week.
I like knowing that there are items up for bid in this world whose prices end in something other than “0″, “5″ or “9″.
I like to guess.
You like to recite.
It’s all good.

July 21, 2010 at 10:11 pm
(17) Sarah says:

I’m really upset about this decision. Rich was the stability behind TPIR and it was his presence that kept the show alive. His saying “It’s a new car” will be echo’d forever. Don’t the producers know that they will lose watchers? I just don’t get it.

July 24, 2010 at 12:37 am
(18) Phillip says:

I may be mistaken, but I thought this was the rumored reason why Rosie O’Donnell wasn’t chosen to replace Bob Barker because she wanted it to be like a musical/variety show within a game show.

I’ve watched the show my whole life (late 80′s) and now I rarely watch anymore. I watched during Drew’s first season and he wasn’t bad, but it just got to be more like a reality show feel where many of the contestants could care less about the prizes or knowing how to play the games and are more worried about trying to be a You Tube sensation.

August 17, 2010 at 12:37 pm
(19) Tyler Starr says:

no body can replace rich

April 15, 2011 at 9:22 pm
(20) ANNOYMOUS says:

Oh yes they can…..and they did! I’ve worked at CBS for a long time and I know Rich personally. He was getting tired, having too many personal problems and just left. Rumor had it that he had a better offer somewhere else, but Rich is doing fine. The new announcer in my view is a jack ass!!! Where they got him I have no clue!!!! HAPPY VIEWING!

August 26, 2010 at 5:06 pm
(21) Troy Johnson says:

My comment is basically like all of the other posters. TPIR is an icon that shouldn’t been tinkered with in the first place. We all know TPIR to be one way. First, way back in 1972, the format was the same only that there were only 3 pricing games at the time and the two showcases. Then, in 1975, TPIR was expanded to one hour featuring still Contestants’ Row, but this time 6 pricing games and adding the 2 showcase showdowns, and the two showcases. Basically this format has worked ever since this version of TPIR premiered on September 4,1972. That’s why it did so well and won so many awards. Also the reason why it won so many awards is because of the host, Bob Barker, and the production staff. Ever since Bob retired, it has been downhill ever since. Some of the production staff that was there for a long time was either let go or fired because they didn’t want to see this so-called “new direction” take place. I, too, have not & will not watch TPIR as long as this so-called “new direction” takes place. I personally see TPIR being canceled after this season because the ratings are really gonna suck. I feel so sorry for Rich Fields as well. I wish him the best on his endeavors. Maybe he feels like all of us diehard TPIR fans that TPIR as we have known it to be since 1972 has come to an end. What a shame!!

September 20, 2010 at 11:48 am
(22) Tim says:

I read the part about him claiming Drew had nothing to do with it, but I don’t buy that one bit. Who in the world thinks of putting an Improv comic on for that position? No one would, but another comedian.

I’m watching it as I type this, and his voice does not fit the show at all. Drew has also lost too much weight, and looks unhealthy.

I’m not typing this out of anger… but the show looks and sounds amateurish now. This was a really stupid move, and I wouldn’t be surprised if their ratings go down.

September 20, 2010 at 11:55 am
(23) Tim says:

I also highly doubt having 2 airings each day of the Price Is Right, will last very long. Not with what they did to the show. This is not good.

September 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm
(24) Mary says:

I just wanted to say I thought Rich was great This new guy is sicking So its there loss To get rid of you Rich
But I guess the show must go on
Good Luck to you in the future

September 20, 2010 at 12:16 pm
(25) Bobthemediaguy says:

Just watching the 39th season premiere, sans Rich Fields and about 25% of Drew Carey (based on body weight, not enthusiasm). As a long time friend, loyal and true, I have seen many changes over the years. Announcers, games, and ultimately, hosts have come and gone. But, TPIR appeal to the viewing audience has remained a constant.
I am very unclear how an improv comedy announcer will add (or subtract) from the existing format, let alone skew toward younger demos. The announcer serves two functions – introducing contestants and describing prizes. For this show, perhaps it’s the most challenging role for any announcer working game shows today. So where does the comedy come in? Let’s see, improv comedy announcers can either make fun of the prizes or the contestants. Hmmm…making fun of the prizes? Not likely. That’s Drew’s job and he does it gently and in good spirit. I can;t see advertisers giving free reign to sidekicks trashing their products. That leaves belittling the contestants.They tend to do a pretty good job all by themselves.
Today, “JD” the first guest announcer managed one quip–aimed at an elderly lady taking her sweet slow time down to contestants row: “As we wait for the 40th season to premiere”. (insert– “ha ha”). Maybe more hilarity will ensue in future episodes when someone trips and falls. I don’t get it.
Younger demos? Fergit about it! Daytime TV is old and continues to skew older, as does ALL TV. TPIR demos are actually pretty good, versus the daytime broadcast norm. But, what do I know? CBS VP of Daytime Programming Michael Brockman wouldn’t hire me in 1985 because, as head of CBS daytime, he insisted network game shows were dead and was counting the days til he would cancel dinosaurs like TPIR. Til this day, I respectfully disagree. I guess he does too, since he wound up running Game Show Network.

September 20, 2010 at 12:18 pm
(26) Shandy says:

Without Rich, even “Plink-o” and “Yodelly-Guy” won’t bring us back to TPIR. Sad, sad day…what else is on @ 10am?

September 20, 2010 at 1:18 pm
(27) Brent says:

Very sad to see them Fire Rich. Spread the news we want Rich Fields Back!!!!

September 20, 2010 at 2:15 pm
(28) Gloria says:

NOT the same without Rich Fields……you need to bring him back. I won’t be watching as much now that he is gone.

September 20, 2010 at 5:34 pm
(29) Phil says:

I’ve been hearing this squeaky voiced JD idiot’s voice for a little while now although Rich was still the announcer and was a little confused. Today I saw this JD stooge and cannot stand his voice. It’s too squeaky. Rich’s voice was perfect. I’ve been watching the show since before Bob Barker was the host. I think the host was Dennis James and it was only half an hour. I remember when the announcer Johnny died and they finally found Rod Roddy who was great. Then he died and they finally found Rich Fields after trying another announcer whose voice just didn’t fit. I thought Drew was bad at first but finally came around and loved him. I especially liked the way he thanked all the models and Rich Fields and also said hello to him in the beginning of the show. He also said Rich was the greatest announcer on TV after winning an Emmy as best announcer. Now he is the reason Rich was fired because he wants to bring in his comic friends. Well screw Drew. I’m never watching the show again. The producers can go to hell and I hope they lose tons of viewers. If they think they will get younger viewers this way they are idiots. Young people are working and in school you fools. This show is watched by seniors and mothers at home. Let’s all make a rebellion. I have the phone number to call the producers. Call 323-575-5100 and leave a message for these idiots. I plan on calling every day until they bring back Rich Fields.

September 20, 2010 at 7:45 pm
(30) Happy says:

This happens all the time…Bill Cullen, Dennis James, Bob Barker, Drew Carey….then all the different announcers over the years.

Sure it was strange getting use to the replacements, but we did and enjoyed them.

Who’s to say that won’t happen again?

Just because Drew is a comedian, and has comedian friends, doesn’t mean this is his decision. You could see they were taking a different direction when Bob B. left the show.

Things changed, we accepted them and I enjoy Drew a lot, as do others.

Remember, change is good.

September 20, 2010 at 11:22 pm
(31) Joe says:

What a sad day in television. What are they doing at TPIR??? First they hire Drew (when there are competent people out there) and now they get rid of Rich. I feel like there’s been a death in the family. I’ve missed Bob ever since he retired and have finally got to the point where I can almost stomach Drew. He is the worst
host I’ve ever seen. Talk about no personality. Rich had a big heart and truly loved his job and every contestant. I have watched the show since it first came on when I was a young boy. Even my kids watch it and realize what a great loss this is. Drew can take all his designer prizes (common people need real prizes we can use) along with his cover musicians and find another gig. I was hoping after his first season that HE’D be the one to get fired. The new announcer has the worst voice I’ve ever heard. I just can’t watch it anymore. Bob and Rich, you’ll always be in my memories.

September 21, 2010 at 12:20 pm
(32) Bob says:

Puh-leeese! Johnny Olson was replaced by almost sound-alike Rod Roddy … Roddy was replaced by not-quite-so-sound-alike Rich Fields. But this new guy doesn’t sound like anything but bad. I can put up with Drew Carey … a lighter, looser way of doing things than aging Bob Barker … but all the bad music, the cross-promotion of TV shows and now a non-professional announcer. It’s really about time I turned off the TV and read a good book — maybe about how television used to be.

September 21, 2010 at 1:28 pm
(33) Patti Rutherford says:

The loss of Rich Fields on TPIR is tragic. He was perfect for the job. He made it entertaining. I will stop watching.

September 21, 2010 at 1:30 pm
(34) Randy Howard says:

Rich Fields was right fore then job i will never watch it at all Drew is a fat piece of **** the show needs to go

September 21, 2010 at 3:31 pm
(35) Chas says:

watching the 39th season of tpir is so painful, i can’t do it any more. i recorded it every day so i could watch at a later time. well. this morning i deleted the record setting. i am not interested any longer. it’s like breaking up with someone you truly love, and care for. it was one of the most painful things i have done in a while. then. to have it on twice a day is really over kill. it’s sad to see a show i have watched for so many years turn into something i don’t even recognize. one person commented on how the show seems to be geared to younger people now, and that’s true. younger, hipper people will still tivo it for later consumption, and that’s fine. personally, i’ll pick up that book i usually laid aside for the one hour of daytime tv i enjoyed. reading is probably better for me any way, so maybe i should be thanking cbs, instead of taking them to task.

September 21, 2010 at 6:02 pm
(36) phil says:

IF YOU WANT RICH BACK CALL THE PRODUCERS AT 323-575-5100. I CALLED TODAY AND GOT RIGHT THROUGH. WE NEED LOTS OF PEOPLE TO CALL UNTIL WE GET RICH BACK.

September 22, 2010 at 11:21 am
(37) Star says:

If I didn’t love Drew Carey so much, I probably wouldn’t watch TPIR anymore. I miss Rich’s voice and I think it added so much to the show. The new announcer is has a whiney voice and isn’t funny at all. I don’t know what got into the producers there. Since Drew and Rich are such good friends, I hope Drew will try to get him back. I’m betting the ratings will go down.

RICH- COME ON BACK!

September 22, 2010 at 11:49 am
(38) Ruthie johnson says:

I have enjoyed watching the Price is Right for over twenty years. I realize that change occurs in order to stay competative, however TPIR has been around for a long time . Ther has been some change in the show but not so much that it will ham the show. I felt awful when Bob left, but I knew it was his time to go. I feel terrible about Rich Fields leaving. I loved his timing and his comic professionalism. I don’t know if I can watch the show anymore. I hope it’s great.

September 22, 2010 at 3:34 pm
(39) jjoan j says:

I cannot believe that Rich Fields is gone! The new man has a squeaky, raspy voice that makes you want to scream, “shut up.” He makes idiotic remarks that are supposed to be funny. Please, bring back Rich. This is ruining a beloved show I have watched for many years.

September 23, 2010 at 11:12 am
(40) Ron says:

I think rich fields had the voice for this program, he will be missed.

September 23, 2010 at 11:19 am
(41) Teri says:

P–LEEZ,,, no stupid comics on this show. That stupid crap on Let’s Make a Deal is WAY TOO MUCH. If you want to lose your audience, then go ahead and put some dumbass comic on there. I love Drew, but if this is his idea, it SUCKS

September 23, 2010 at 8:29 pm
(42) dolly says:

I think Drew Carey is a thousand times better in every way than Bob Barker ever was. Yes, I’m probably the only person in the world who thought Bob was absolutely ridiculous. I have always liked the show itself, but now I really enjoy it. However, I also really enjoyed Rich Fields and the rapport he and Drew seemed to have with each other and the audience. If you think this new announcer is any good, you are sadly mistaken. And, if I wanted to hear a comedian, I’d turn on an old Dick Van Dyke show. That was comedy at its’ best.

September 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm
(43) dolly says:

I left a comment. I have always liked TPIR, but I never liked Bob Barker. He just thought he was so funny. I didn’t, and was dellighted when he retired. It didn’t happen soon enough for me. I really like Drew. I think he has helped make the show, and I have liked the variety they have put into the show, but putting a comedian on as the announcer is really asinine. Rich Fields helped make the show. He and Drew really seemed to share a deep respect for each other.
If I wanted good comedy, I’d watch a Dick Van Dyke rerun.
Comedy at the expense of others is never good–even if it does get laughs from ignorant people. You know, you will be old yourself someday.

September 24, 2010 at 12:42 am
(44) Alice says:

I have watched tpir for years. Am done now. Rich was the one who keep the show togeather. As for trying to attract the younger people that is all they have on now. Good bye tpir.

September 24, 2010 at 11:41 am
(45) donna says:

Wow, i was wondering what the hell happened to Rich Fields? Ok, there were times i felt he really drew out names, etc too much, but this new dude is HORRIBLE. His voice is annoying–whose idea was this to replace Rich? Tell Kathy “Fingers” Greco to get their act together and get someone whose voice won;t make you change the channel…What happened to TPIR anyhow??? Sometimes CHANGE IS NOT FOR THE BETTER!!!!

September 24, 2010 at 12:06 pm
(46) Carrie says:

Just so everyone’s clear, the “new guy” that’s announcing right now is only there for another week. They’re planning on bringing in new announcers every two weeks for the time being. Coming up will be Jeff B. Davis, Brad Sherwood, and David Lawrence, though I’m sure there are others.

September 24, 2010 at 2:27 pm
(47) Rom says:

Seems the whole world is crashing. ‘Not too suprised to see this happening in the media also. Just like the news media, ie: Katie Curic as ‘Dan Rather’ and the Tonight Show fiasco with that carrot headed idiot, and check out the popular cartoons that our kids are ‘conditioned’ with. It’s all part of the desinigration of American society as happened in Rome back in the day. First we lose our way, then our country. What’s next?

September 24, 2010 at 6:01 pm
(48) Bob says:

As long as we’re analyzing … how about a rule that puts an end to one contestant outbidding another by $1. For gosh sakes this is supposed to be a fun game show, not Survivor or Greed. There should be a rule requiring at least a $25 or a $50 upbid from someone else … that way the one with the lower bid at least has a chance.

September 25, 2010 at 2:33 am
(49) june says:

The old saying is “if it aint broke, don’t fix it”. I don’t watch “Let’s Make a Deal” because it is a cheesy version of the original. It appears whoever cheapened LMAD has now done the same thing to Price Is Right. The models allure on Price is Right was that they were silent. They now talk, the announcer is horrible, Rich brought class & I truly hope that Drew’s weight loss was his idea. The show was classy. It has now been trashed. So sad!

September 26, 2010 at 4:06 pm
(50) andrew b says:

If that happened, Bob, there’s an equal likelihood that the contestant with the higher bid doesn’t have a chance.

September 27, 2010 at 12:35 pm
(51) Deb D says:

I think getting rid of Rich Fields was a BIG Mistake. His interaction with Drew was great and sincere, and as an announcer, he could not be beat. When I watched the show today – It seemed flat, Drew appeared more uncomfortable, just like it was one of his first times as host of TPIR. And I especially did not like the announcer. He had been stepping in announcing the prizes for non-winners last season. When I first heard him, I started wondering if this was the direction the show was going, thought it was a mistake then and still think it is now. TPIR has become one of my favorites since Drew started, if today’s episode is an example, IT won’t be my favorite for long.

September 27, 2010 at 6:51 pm
(52) Steve says:

While I don’t anticipate Rich Fields departure is going to affect ratings I will say that this man is a great announcer. Very Polished and poised and with the right breaks he could be another Ryan Seacrest.

But what I am surprised at is that CBS should have given him the opportunity to host his own gameshow. The new generation of game show hosts don’t have the chemistry of the older generation of famous hosts that include Monty Hall, Bob Barker, Tom Kennedy, Allen Ludden, Bill Cullen, Gene Rayburn and such. They were likable hosts. Rich Fields has that likeable poise and charm of the classic game show host. I think game shows would draw better ratings with hosts that people are comfortable watching.

Drew Carey has the likability factor. He’s everybody’s brother or the kind of friend you like to hang around with. So it has worked for him. But even creative and talented Wayne Brady was awful hosting Let’s make a Deal. He just seemed awkward and uncomfortable and lost his likeability charm. It seemed as though the show’s announcer had to step in to help him and whether or not that’s the case it is how it looked to me. I would love to see Rich Fields given a shot at hosting “Let’s Make a Deal” get it out of Vegas and put it in a more Monty Hall friendly enviornment and I believe the show would do well.

September 28, 2010 at 5:44 am
(53) Edith Frewin says:

After listening to Rich Field’s voice for the last few years, I must say that the new announcer’s voice is quite awful. Very good looking guy, but no comparison to the smooth voice of Rich. I am so very disappointed.

September 28, 2010 at 10:16 am
(54) Bob says:

I think, Andrew B, if we were to take note of the actual price of the item, it is generally above and beyond the $25 or $50 upbid … so I doubt the likelihood is hardly EQUAL that the higher bidder has no chance to win. It would at least give the person with the lower bid SOME HOPE of winning, but certainly no guarantee. It’s just a more humane way of doing things. But then, this society has lost a lot of its humanity. (No need to cite how Americans open their pocketbooks in times of tragedy around the world; I’m talking about our everyday dealings with one another.)

September 28, 2010 at 1:36 pm
(55) Christine says:

First let me say that I think Drew looks awesome, I liked him chunky but I love him thinner. Keep up the good work Drew, you MAKE that show fun to watch. Secondly, I knew something was different when I no longer heard Rich Fields’ voice on The Price is Right. Want to give the new guy a chance, but after so many years of listening to that great voice, I don’t know…… hope he can fill in Rich’s shoes. They are big shoes to fill. Miss you Rich, will be looking forward to your new project, whatever that is. Let us know soon. Only wish you the best.

September 28, 2010 at 6:15 pm
(56) Anna says:

I hate the sound of the new announcer on TPIR, he has the most irritating voice I can relate to on TV. Goodbye Rich and good luck, you had the voice and personality for the job. Goodbye to TPIR also, can’t stand to listen to that squeek anymore.

September 28, 2010 at 6:21 pm
(57) Anony says:

I remember watching TPIR when Bob Barker’s hair was black. After being in school for so long and finally getting up early to watch the show only to see he had a head full of gray was a huge shock to me. It still seems like it was yesterday when these events took place. I, for one, is hesitant about change when I feel it’s going to change for the worse. I’m sorry but I’m not liking the direction the show is going. I use to watch it faithfully and now if I miss it it’s no big deal. Poor Barker…He took something and made it work for so long and now that he’s gone… I know the show is looking to grab the younger generation but come on!! Us ol’ timers are still here. I remember all of the announcers names started with an ‘r’ and they all were apart of the show until their deaths. We may speculate about why Rich Fields left but only he knows the true answer. Call me old fashioned and dull but I liked the way the old TPIR was going. The live bands and the models now given a mic so they can talk and other gimmicks just isn’t sitting well with me. Maybe it’ll work but in my gut and being around since the ’70′s’, I know this won’t work.

September 28, 2010 at 10:53 pm
(58) Lisa says:

I miss you…..and I hope all of your dreams come true…..I am really glad to hear Drew had nothing to do with it…. It would be hard to imagine the way you guys interacted…. Thanks for your time….and I will be looking for you elsewhere…..Thanks again!!!!

September 28, 2010 at 10:55 pm
(59) Lynn says:

Rich Fields, we definitely miss you. You are one of the reasons we watched TPIR.

September 29, 2010 at 12:09 pm
(60) bobbi says:

what’s going on. After Bob B. retired, Rich was the glue that held the show together. let’s see what happens. Rich I wish you nothing but the best. You should have replaced Bob B. Its still hard for me to watch Drew. (Boring)

September 29, 2010 at 2:36 pm
(61) Mary Leiboh says:

The new version of TPIR will NEVER work without Rich Fields being there. I agree he was totally the glue that held the show together. The real unsung hero of the show. He knew how to banter with Drew, and when to be quiet. These new guys just suck and want all the attention on themselves. If they do not bring back Rich, the show wont last another year. Drew looks more unsure of himself and less focused than ever. Bring back Rich if you want the show to last. I dropped it off my DVR recordings until then.

September 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm
(62) regina says:

i am 76 years old and have watched tpir for many many years since johnny was the anouncer. i want rich back he was great. drews new weight lost is terrific kudos for him. just get me rich back to make my veiwing this program worth while ty u regina

July 25, 2011 at 12:47 am
(63) pajama jeans says:

I think Wheel of Fortune is my longest consistenly watched tv show. But jesus, you have been watching tpis for a long time! I think they should have the fans vote on an announcer nect time they go changing hosts.

September 30, 2010 at 2:33 am
(64) Diveritis says:

I’ve watched the show from when I was kid. Drew started the downward spiral and now the new announcer has finshed me off for good. Too bad, I loved the show.

September 30, 2010 at 12:07 pm
(65) raravesi says:

I hate the new announcer’s voice on The Price is Right. It is too weak. Leave the show the way it has been for all these years. Now it is getting like a circus. I think Drew has a lot to do with the changes, especially when he has had all the characters from his old show on as models. Ridiculous. Also, I loved the old Let’s Make a Deal and while I loved Wayne Brady on Whose Line Is It Anyway, he is horrible as the host. I just can’t watch the new Let’s Make a Deal because of this and I will not watch The Price is Right anymore. Goodbye.

September 30, 2010 at 3:25 pm
(66) lois says:

This show will never be the same. I like Drew, but now I wont be so anxious to watch it every day.

September 30, 2010 at 8:45 pm
(67) CMKB says:

Some things should NOT change…. and booting Rich out is one of them. So, far, I do not like the new guy; his voice is not strong enough.

I prefer to see Rich back; he and Drew seemed to have GREAT chemistry and that spills over to those watching and participating on the show.

CBS…… bring him back… the idea of an improv comic sounds like a bad idea… I’m just sayin’

October 1, 2010 at 6:58 pm
(68) BILL says:

FOR ALL THE YEARS, I HAVE WATCH THE PIR..I,VE ALWAYS ENJOYED THE VOIVE OFF RICH..AND SOMETIME HIM SNEAKING INTO THE CLOSING OF THE SHOW, WITH A WAVE AND A SMILE ..HE ENJOYED HIS WORK AND THAT IS IMPORTANT, IN THIS DAY AND AGE!!BOB BARKER, MUST REALLY FEEL BAD, AFTER ALL THE YEARS HE MADE THE SHOW…NOW, YOU TWO JERKS, THAT WANT TO HAVE A VARIETY..GO MAKE UP, ANOTHER GONG SHOW,, I,M GIVING YOU THE GONG NOW!!!

October 3, 2010 at 10:10 pm
(69) Robin says:

I miss TPIR & YOU, Rich Fields!

CBS has lost 2 more viewers.

Why do I think PIR will be replaced by a comedy/live band/variety show…

You’re *family* & missed by many.
Best wishes for you in all you do!

Robin
(the 3 ‘letters’ in my email addr = Roman numerals, lol)

October 4, 2010 at 12:12 pm
(70) david risinger says:

Who was the DUMMY that made this stupid decision– if it was money you should have given a car or two less away–bring back Rich…….

October 4, 2010 at 2:32 pm
(71) Holly says:

Rich Fields came alive the day Drew Carey took over the show. So much of his personality was revealed and the camaraderie between Rich and Drew only added to the entertainment. I miss the voice, expression and fun as he announced the next prize.

October 5, 2010 at 11:26 am
(72) Ellymae says:

I miss Rich Fields on The Price is Right. I would hate to have the show get tacky like Let’s Make a Deal.

October 5, 2010 at 8:05 pm
(73) LINDA says:

WHY AND WHO MADE THE DUMB’S MISTAKE BY TAKING RICH OUT OF THE SHOW…ARE YOU NUT’S? I’VE WATCH THE SHOW FOR YRS AND YRS….BUT NOW, I’LL KEEP TURNING THE CHANNEL TIL RICH IS BACK….DREW IS GREAT AND OF COURSE I’VE ALWAYS LOVE BOB…BUT THAT CHANGE WAS DO TO RETIREMENT…..WHAT THE HECK COULD BE A REASON TO REPLACE RICH…IF IT’S MONEY….THEN PAY IT AND QUIT GIVING AWAY FOREIGN CARS…AND SO MANY TRIPS…………..BRING HIM BACK……….

October 6, 2010 at 12:45 am
(74) AEM says:

Replacing Rich with a comic-I don’t get it. This is ONLY a game show-not a talent show! Look at the looney idea of having bands appear. They don’t fit in, their performances are not anything special unless maybe if your in the audience plus they look lost and all seem to have the what/why am I here look.I think the brains behind this decision should have polled the viewers who have more experience with the show than they! Why change a good thing?

October 6, 2010 at 10:14 am
(75) Mary says:

I wish the best to Rich Field’s, will miss him so much. I said to my husband on the first show, ‘who’s voice is that!’. I will miss his voice, it is so hard to get used to another voice. I know whatever Rich does he will succeed to the max….Good Luck Rich or as you would say to Drew “Brother”.

October 8, 2010 at 12:08 pm
(76) Susan says:

Bring back Rich Fields. I don’t care for the new improv announcer. Rich brought personality to the show and his chemistry with Drew was the best. You don’t get the “family” vibe with this new program layout.

October 12, 2010 at 11:22 am
(77) gary says:

They have the same idea over at Let’s Make a Deal and it is lame. It distracts from the host and the contestants. The Price is Right works because people like watching other people be excited and happy for the prizes they win, not because the announcer and models are auditioning for a stand up career.

October 12, 2010 at 11:56 am
(78) Barb says:

I am so shocked that Rich is off the price is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You people have made a HUGE mistake!!!! Don’t know if I want to even see the show! What were you thinking? and what is the reason for him to leave?????

October 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm
(79) susan norkon says:

It was heartbreaking enough when you stupidly let Rich Fields go,but to hear that you want to have a variety show inside a game show is assinine! Thirty-nine years of strictly being a game show and having so many loyal followers should tell you what people want. If I wanted another talent pushing show I could always watch Rachel Ray or CBS morning news. News should be news, comedy funny and game shows entertaining and with the hope people might get a little reward out of this life. Why do you have to ruin this show. Did you not hear of the saying ”If it ain’t broke ,don’t try and fix it” ?

J.D. is an uninteresting personality,who ends up looking foolish instead of funny when they show him participating in the games or making surprised faces of astonishment when Drew says a price or winner. This show is going down hill rapidly. You need to stop sliding in the direction you are taking before you slid right off daytime television.

October 12, 2010 at 8:46 pm
(80) Don VanNatter says:

Rich Fields was a major part of the show, who the hell is responsible for letting him go……GET HIM BACK……

October 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm
(81) Bob says:

This week’s “tryout” seems a bit better, but this “guest star” business needs to go. The game, the game is the thing … not “celebrity” guests.

October 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm
(82) Gerry Sudman says:

I thought Drew and Rich had such an obvious respect for each other it added to the enjoyment of the program. I am not for the direction that the show is taking. I always say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

October 14, 2010 at 11:38 am
(83) INdeep7503 says:

10 AM is about to be my DVR’d programs viewing time

October 20, 2010 at 12:36 am
(84) Robert Saragusa says:

I have been watching T.P.I.R. for 39 years, I am
going to call Les Moonves (818-655-1600) Head honcho,
to demand him to re-hire Rich Fields, he is one of
the reasons why I watch the show.

October 20, 2010 at 11:28 am
(85) Gail says:

The Price is Right has changed dramatically since Rich Fields is no longer on. His chemistry with Drew made the show so enjoyable.

October 20, 2010 at 11:40 am
(86) pcj says:

I agree. TPIR is just not the same, I still turn it on most mornings, however, it has become more of a background for me. I find I am not so ‘glued’ to it as I used to be. I will keep trying. Just can’t seem to get as involved as before. Good luck to Drew.

October 21, 2010 at 11:43 am
(87) Nancy says:

I think this stinks! I loved the “chemistry” between Rich and Drew and actually looked forward to it each day. Having more comedic acts and “variety” type shows sounds a little ridiculous to me. It is a game show! Let the games continue. Occasionally, it was nice to see some of the stars introduce some of the products and gifts. Ok, it’s over and done with, so hope it just stays the same…….

October 25, 2010 at 11:31 am
(88) Ron Fields says:

I am really not happy about this as I really like Rich….. and really can’t see much difference in this position between a stand up comedian and an announcher, such as Rich. I wish him well… As far as Drew Carey…. he is the greatest host this show has ever had…… He just adds a sense of funny loosness to the show……

October 25, 2010 at 12:08 pm
(89) Millie Moore says:

I liked Rich Fields very much; and I miss him. My all time favorite was Rod Roddy; but I think Rich was a good replacement. Good Luck Rich.

October 25, 2010 at 12:14 pm
(90) Millie Moore says:

I don’t know what URL mean. but I want to make sure my comment is posted. Yesssss I miss Rich fields, after Rod Roddy passed away, I thought Rich was a good replacement. It has taken me a good deal of time to get used to Drew Carey, but he has kind of grown on me. But you need to get Rich back. I won’t be watching as much as I used to.

October 29, 2010 at 9:03 am
(91) Jim B says:

I used to like TPIR till they replaced Rich. The new guy just doesn’t come across well. He doesn’t have that charisma in his voice. Doubt if Rich will come back though. I just don’t care any more to watch TPIR.

November 1, 2010 at 11:26 am
(92) d. marshall says:

It is a shame things like this happen.
I didn’t like any changes that CBS has made on this show.
Yet I have to live with them.
If a certain character is the new announcer.
I will certainly stop watching all the show,

November 2, 2010 at 11:52 am
(93) Moe says:

Without Rich Fields, your show is not the same and I do not enjoy it anymore. In fact, I find your trial announcers very, very, very annoying. I would rather watch the View which is now equally annoying! Please, bring back Rich Fields!!!!

November 2, 2010 at 6:29 pm
(94) pcj says:

THIS weeks guest announcer is REALLY ANNOYING! I cannot even get passed the “come-on-down” part of the show. How sad, SAD, SAD!!!

He seems as though he is “trying so hard” to be like Rich and is FAILING MISERABLY – To me, at least. Sorry, but Price is Right is OUT for me this week. sooooo Sorry!!! I love to watch DREW and his interaction with the contestants,,, but tooo much for me this week. Bye NOW. PCJ

November 2, 2010 at 10:19 pm
(95) andrew b says:

If the new announcers are trying so hard to be like Rich Fields, then why not just keep Rich Fields if that’s the style you want, Mike?

November 2, 2010 at 11:47 pm
(96) pcj says:

I just found an interesting interview WITH Rich Fields Answers some pretty good questions about this…

Need to cut & paste if you can’t click on it. It is a loooong one,
So worth the read. Love Rich AND Drew

thx, pcj

November 3, 2010 at 12:53 pm
(97) marg lustine says:

I find any attempt (which is not usually funny) at
comedy from the new announcer very distracting and
annoying, particularly since it comes in the middle
of announcing an exciting new contestant (it muddies it and takes away from the excitement) and when during
announcing of prizes when in a game very confusing
and distracting to viewers and probably to the contestants. Not funny. This is a game show. And
the Lets Make a Deal funny man is present and on
stage and attention on him when he makes a funny.
Different, different. Having inane comments thrown
in haphazardly causes TPIR to become disjointed and
completely takes away from the continuity of the show.
BRING BACK Rich Fields!!!!!He was great with Drew.

November 3, 2010 at 1:47 pm
(98) Karl says:

With the unfortunate recent passing of Charlie O’Donnell from Wheel of Fortune, here is an perfect opportunity for Rich Fields to stay in the announcer’s seat on a game show!

November 4, 2010 at 12:18 pm
(99) Barbara says:

I wondered how long it would take the ‘new’ staff to think a change would be better. Change is good in most cases but why not leave this one alone. It has been so much fun the way it is now it will just be another variety show or reality show. When are people going to realize also that young people are at work all day, running children around so you have your 50+ in front of the TV. My mom has watched this show for several years with all of her neighbors and my generation/my children have grown up with the way it is. If you want to do anything have a new game now and then but please leave this alone. You’ve already taken the majority of the soap operas and changed them so that people who are at home are really bored with the whole smut thing.

November 5, 2010 at 5:03 am
(100) mamapat22 says:

That is the dumbest thing that has ever happened on TPIR. Rich was great at his job. I can not believe they let him go. Some of these people that are taking his place are horrible. Rich and Drew were great together. Rich is the best announcer since we lost Rod. I hate it that he is gone. I dont even like to watch it anymore. I think you all made a very BIG mistake. Good luck, Rich, and I wish you nothing but “GREAT”. Nobody will ever be as good as you and I really do miss you…..Mamapat22

November 5, 2010 at 1:11 pm
(101) Nomatter says:

I thought Drew was a comic??? I stopped watching because I cannot take the announcing with high pitched voices. Disappointing since I have watched since beginning of time – skipped work to do that and now that I am retired I thought it would be on my bucket list – just took it off. Nomatter.

November 5, 2010 at 4:16 pm
(102) LARRY says:

Have watched the show for last 30 years. Very disappointed that Rich Fields is gone. He was one of the
best. I hope some other game show picks him up as announcer. There rating will instantly go up. See if there is some way to get Rich Back on TPIR.l;

November 11, 2010 at 11:52 pm
(103) Ann says:

I am missing Rich Filds so much on The price is right, I agree with some of them that said tha twas a big mistake in getting rid of him.
I sure wish they would get him back.

November 24, 2010 at 12:05 pm
(104) Moi says:

I never cared for Rich Field’s overly dramatic voiiiiiiicce! I always imagined him going home and his wife or whoever saying “what do you want for dinner” and he’d reply “…I want HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMburrgerrrrrrrrrs!”

My 2 cents

November 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm
(105) wanda says:

I like the show with Drew an i really liked it with Rich Field. These other guys just don’t have the voice for the show, they need to bring Rich back. I don’t watch as much of it since he’s gone.

November 29, 2010 at 11:29 pm
(106) pcj says:

Well, at least for the last week and again tonight, Rich IS announcing on the Wheel of Fortune. Not much action, but it IS ver-r-r-ry nice to hear his voice again, even if only for a few announcements. Soothes an aching heart….. Good to hear you, Rich!

December 2, 2010 at 11:46 am
(107) Regina DeBow says:

I wish JD Roberto could become the new announcer for the Price Is Right

Thanks…Regina

December 30, 2010 at 7:30 pm
(108) Walter Nevin Jefferson says:

I’m staging a protest rally against CBS,Network Execs,and the Twit of a Producer of The Price Is Right! I’m going to Boycott all of your sponsors. The Price Is Right is a game show not a variety show. Is the Producer on crack? I’m staging protests on the behalf of Rich Fields who was wrongly fired and wrongly screw without a kiss.

Walter Nevin Jefferson
Writer,Activist,Advocate,and Militant

January 5, 2011 at 9:43 pm
(109) norma says:

im getting sick of all the screwballs they now pick it ussed to be all ages but now 99% are crazy young people and oh yes they have to be good jumpers i like drew but now were getting sick of the sameold thing

January 6, 2011 at 11:02 am
(110) pcj says:

I so agree (again). They have chosen mostly the young vibrant acrobatic young contestants feeling they will get a better audience. IF they are trying to get a better HOME (TV watching) audience… perhaps they should consider just WHO are the people left at home to watch the show…. The ‘old-timers’ who have watched the show since it began are just the people who are now at home – retired- trying to enjoy one of the last truly enjoyable shows from their (our) memories. It has been such a popular show for so many years….. and now, because the young are more available for being contestants…. They seem to be trying so hard to cater the the young…. Too bad the retirees will not enjoy it.

Some one needs to reconsider the demographics of daytime audiences. Huh??

(dĕm’ə-grăf’ĭks, dē’mə-) pronunciation
n. (used with a pl. verb)
The characteristics of human populations and population segments, especially when used to identify consumer markets: The demographics of the Southwest indicate a growing population of older consumers.

thanx for your time, pcj

January 15, 2011 at 2:54 am
(111) Fred Swafford says:

Ive watched TPIR for a long time and Rich was the best voice ever….everybody they have had since you left really SUCK !! I wish you only the best and if money was the reason you left the Price is Right should have paid it !!!!! Your the bomb !!!!!
Sincerely
Fred Swafford
Marion,Indiana

January 21, 2011 at 11:15 am
(112) gingerP says:

I thought they promote Rich Fields to producer of Price since Drew & he had such a great chemistry on air. Fields seems to work nicely and comedically with Carey. And Fields also corraled guests to their right positions at the end of the show and such. I really thought if he were gone, it was because he was promoted.

All the voices suck big time since Fields left.
They need someone that can do that come on down.

February 23, 2011 at 12:24 am
(113) June says:

I’m kinda bored with the whole Drew Carey thing all ready. Everything he says is sooo rehearsed: “You’re the last contestant. It’s you’re only chance. Don’t blow it.” “This is the showcase showdown. Listen carefully to both prizes. It could go to either one of you.”
Bob actually interacted with people and had a natural flair for not being so rehearsed and monotonous.

February 23, 2011 at 12:44 am
(114) June says:

I would also like to add that I agree with Tallguytommy. Sure Bob couldn’t go on forever, but the shows predicability and consistency is what I always looked forward to. REALLY! REALLY! For the love of god, does the Price Is Right need Nigel Barker from America’s Next Top Model on the show to gain popularity?
I find myself tuning into TPIR less and less myself these days.

February 23, 2011 at 11:33 am
(115) greg says:

The change I like the most is that there is participation from the models and, when Rich Fields was there, he was on stage at times including the end of the show. Drew is doing a good job but too much comedy will turn it into Let’s Make a Deal and I don’t watch that anymore.

March 3, 2011 at 11:37 am
(116) mike says:

Change is good but losing Rich Fields is ludicrous. He kept the show flowing with his great personality and soothing voice. It was hard enough getting used to Drew after Bob Barker left but it works. Now to add unnecesary comedy is just that…..unnecessary. Like one other comment, it becomes a showcase for comedians rather than a friendly game show. I may not continue to watch these auditions.

March 29, 2011 at 12:10 pm
(117) Ginger says:

So sorry about this Rich. You can not be replaced. Period.

October 28, 2011 at 11:18 pm
(118) Paulo says:

Drew did not like Rich. He was demanding as hell and the crew hated him. It was time for him to leave. Everyone hates change, but this new group with Drew and George will be good and last. No matter what people say…. And yes I work at CBS as a crew member on another show…

Change sucks sometimes, but the show needed a change. The change has brought in a huge new demographic and the numbers don’t lie…. Better than ever….

So if you don’t like it, don’t watch… But the show will go on….

March 15, 2013 at 2:49 am
(119) Mike says:

I haven’t watched The Price is Right since Bob Barker made his departure in June 2007 . I tried to watch a few of the Drew episodes, but it literally made me sick to my stomach to see TPIR descend to virtual ruins. Maybe some people can identify with the changed format, but after watching the show for so many years with its smooth format, the changes made to TPIR made it a no show in my home.

The greatest era ever for TPIR is when legendary Johnny Olsen was announcer and, of course, the great era with announcer Rod Roddy.

Janice Pennington, Anitra Ford, Holly Halstrom and Diane Parkinson were THE MOST beautiful and graceful ladies EVER as models on TPIR.