Born: May 17th, 1956
Hometown: Philadelphia, PA
Graduated From: Temple University Film School
Family: Divorced, three daughters
Trademark: Saget is known as both a squeaky-clean, wholesome actor and an edgy stand-up comedian.
How He Got His Start in Comedy and Television:
After attending Temple University, Saget moved on to graduate school in California. He didn't last long there, however. He dropped out and instead tried his hand at stand-up comedy, where he found a receptive audience and headlined several national tours. From there he moved on to television appearances, including a short-lived gig as a morning show host on CBS.
In 1987, Saget landed the role of Danny Tanner in the hit ABC sitcom Full House. This role was to forever typecast Saget as a wholesome goody-two-shoes, an image that he has since fought to overcome. In 1989, he became the host of America's Funniest Home Videos, another venue that further enhanced his family-friendly persona.
Since 1997, Saget has done a lot of stand-up comedy and made cameo appearances that have strongly contradicted his roles in Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos. Perhaps the most notable is his appearance in the film The Aristocrats, in which celebrities deliver their own versions of the world's dirtiest joke.
What He's Doing Now:
Saget is currently hosting the NBC game show 1 vs. 100, and is the narrator of the CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother. He has recently appeared in the Broadway musical The Drowsy Chaperone, as "Man in Chair."An HBO comedy special written and performed by Saget called That Ain't Right was released on DVD in late 2007, and another DVD movie that he wrote and directed called Farce of the Penguins, which is a parody of the film March of the Penguins, was released earlier in the year.
Notable Television and Film Credits:
- 2007, Farce of the Penguins, director, writer, and star
- 2007, Bob Saget: That Ain't Right
- 2006, 1 vs. 100, Host
- 2006, Law & Order: SVU, played murderer Glenn Cheales in two episodes
- 2005, Madagascar, voice of "Zoo Animal"
- 2005, The Aristocrats, as himself
- 2003, Dumb & Dumberer, played Jessica's father
- 1996, For Hope, director and executive producer
- 1990, America's Funniest Home Videos, host until 1997
- 1990, Bob Saget: In the Dream State
- 1987, Full House, played Danny Tanner until 1995
In 1996, Saget acted as director and executive producer on the film For Hope, about a girl with scleroderma, a condition that causes hardening of the skin, muscles, and joints. Saget's sister Gay died of the disease in 1993.
- Saget provides the voice for Barry Tuttle in the online game The Tuttles: Madcap Misadventures. Proceeds from downloads of the game go to the Starlight Starbright Children's Foundation.
- Saget occasionally does comedy tours with his former Full House co-star Dave Coulier.
- In 1979, Saget was the winning bachelor on game show The Dating Game.
Bob Saget Quotes:
In an interview with The Comedy Couch, about Farce of the Penguins: "I'm very excited about it. It's a huge amount of work. I'm just sitting there watching penguins curse and smack the hell out of each other."
In an interview with Broadway.com: "If you're a host of a video show and you're on the cleanest show on television for eight years, people want to say, 'Well, that's what that person does.' That was the dilemma for me, career-wise."