Note: The Moment of Truth is no longer airing, and therefore not accepting contestant applications. The information contained in this article is for reference purposes only, and will be updated in the event the show returns.
If you don't mind answering very personal questions while hooked up to a polygraph machine, in front of friends and family and millions of strangers, then this might just be the show for you! The Moment of Truth delves deep into your background to find the questions about your past that you may not want to answer truthfully.
The Application Form
You'll be asked to fill out basic personal information, and then to explain your relationships with family, friends, past employers, and lots of other background information. The producers will use this info to contact people from your past to try and come up with good questions for you to answer on the show.
There are quite a few personal questions on the application form. If it makes you uncomfortable to answer them, you might want to think twice about being on the show. They only get deeper and more personal from here!
At the end of the form, you'll find an Application Release as well as the eligibility guidelines. Read all of this information carefully, and make sure the last page is signed and dated before sending the application in.
In order to appear on The Moment of Truth, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You must be a citizen or legal resident of the United States.
- You must be at least 18 years of age, and not a minor in your state of residence.
- If you are a member of any performing arts union or guild, you must agree that your participation on the show does not constitute a performance, and does not require payment.
- You, your immediate family, or anyone living in your household must not work for FOX, its affiliates, or any company involved in the production or advertising of the show, or the background information service they employ.
- You must not be a candidate for public office, nor become a candidate for one year after the show you appear in originally airs.
- You must not have a medical condition that might impact the health or well-being of yourself or anyone else on the program.
- You must not have been involved in any reality or internet program in the past 12 months, and must agree not to audition or apply for any such program within the next 12 months.
This is just a basic rundown of the guidelines. Please read the application form and release agreement carefully for all of the details.
Along with a completed and signed application form and release, you'll also need to create a 5-7 minute video. Your video needs to be in VHS or mini-DV format, and make sure that you don't film yourself standing in front of a blank white wall or window. Position yourself so that the camera catches your face and upper body, and choose a room with good lighting.
Here are the topics/questions that must be addressed in your video. Read each question out loud and then state your answer, but try and keep it somewhat upbeat and interesting:
- Please state your name, occupation and where you live.
- Describe your personality and why you would be a good candidate for The Moment of Truth.
- Do you consider yourself an honest person? Describe why or why not.
- WHY do you want to be on The Moment of Truth?
- Explain why you think you can win the $500,000.
- What would America say about you if you were on TV?
- Tell us about your past 3 relationships? (e.g.. are you currently married, divorced, who were you married to, who are you dating, etc.)
- List your talents/strengths in your life in order of what you do best.
- Describe your personality at work.
- Describe your personality when you are at home.
- Describe your relationship with your parents.
- How many brothers and sisters do you have? Describe how you feel about each one.
- How many friends do you have, and who are they?
- Describe your last 3 bosses. Who did you like best? Least?
- Tell us anything else you think we should know about you.
Label your video clearly, on both the face and the spine, with your name and contact information. Remember, the video will not be returned to you, so if you want a copy for yourself make one before sending the original off.
When you have your form and video ready, here's what you need to send in your application package:
- Completed application form
- Completed and signed application release
- 5-7 minute video
- A recent photo of yourself
Don't forget to label the photo with your name and contact information on the back.
Where to Send It
Send your completed application package to:
The Moment of Truth
2416 W. Victory Blvd. Suite 117
Burbank, CA 91506-1229
The current deadline for applications is April 1st, 2008. That means that your application package must be received by this date. While the producers of The Moment of Truth do not send out confirmations that your application has been received, you can send the package through a courier or mail service that provides a tracking number to ensure that your application made it on time.