1. Entertainment

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Carrie Grosvenor

Is Cedric the Entertainer Our New Millionaire Host?

By January 30, 2013

I've been a little surprised at the lack of speculation on who will be the new host of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire one Meredith Vieira finishes this season, but there's an interesting quick news bit posted at TV News Check today.

That story claims that Vieira's successor will be Cedric the Entertainer, who hosted It's Worth What? on NBC in 2011. There are no named sources and of course Disney/ABC won't confirm or deny the story.

If this is true I'm not sure how I feel about it. Cedric the Entertainer is a funny and, well, entertaining guy - there's no doubt about that. Is he the right fit for Millionaire though? What do you think?

Photo courtesy Getty Images

Comments

January 30, 2013 at 7:57 pm
(1) Jason S. says:

I’m with you Carrie, it sounds like a miss match. Although to be fair, I’d have to see Mr. the Entertainer in action before I can be sure, haha. I’ve never seen an episode of It’s Worth What?

January 31, 2013 at 10:45 am
(2) Myke25 says:

I’m not sure about this, either. Cedric didn’t absolutely suck on “It’s Worth What?” But Millionaire is a different kind of show… more cerebral and serious.

But I guess I’m bothered more by the lack of creativity from the executive suite.
It’s like “Drew Carey is doing well on ‘The Price is Right’…so let’s tap another ‘Who’s Line’ guy for “Let’s Make a Deal’. Jeff Foxworthy is rockin’ ’5th Grader’, so let’s give his ‘Blue Collar’ buddy Bill Engvall a shot on ‘Lingo’. Steve Harvey is killing on ‘Family Feud’, so…”
I might have gone with D.L. Hughley if they wanted another ‘Original King of Comedy’…but who knows? Cedric might work fine.

But barring some miraculous turnaround, I think Millionaire’s days are about done, anyway. So, either he’ll breathe new life into it like Harvey has with Feud, or it’s done in a year.

January 31, 2013 at 4:14 pm
(3) Wayne says:

Please say it isn’t so, this would only be slightly better than when Steve Harvey hosted.

Steve Harvey is great for Family Feud, but was all wrong for Millionaire, and so is CTE.

February 3, 2013 at 6:35 am
(4) frank says:

Millionaire will never be the same without Meredith. She was classy smart fun women. Perfect fit for the show

February 11, 2013 at 11:01 pm
(5) PATRICK CALDWELL says:

Meredith IS THE WORST GAME SHOW HOST EVER AND I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THE LAST 11 YEARS FOR HER TO LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!! I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER TO HEAR ABOUT THIS GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!! HER TRICK OF MAKING EVERY CONTESTANT THINK THAT THEY HAVE THE WRONG ANSWER WHEN IN FACT THEY REALLY HAVE THE RIGHT ANSWER WAS NEVER FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS “IS THAT YOUR FINAL ANSWER?” NOT FINAL OR FINAL ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SHOW IS CALLED “WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?” NOT MILLIONAIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 19, 2013 at 4:24 pm
(6) Meg says:

I think he’d be great! I think Merediith is awful as the host. I like her as a person butnot in this job. You need someone funny and spontaneous – not a serious interviewer. D.L. Hughley did the show one week and he was great – so a comedian is a vast improvement over a journalist.

i like her as a person but not in this job. you need someone funny and spontaneous, not a serious interviewer.

September 3, 2013 at 5:18 pm
(7) Steve says:

Cedric is AWFUL as host of Millionaire! Bring Meridith back!!

September 3, 2013 at 9:17 pm
(8) Doug says:

I have now seen Cedric on 2 shows, and I really do not like him. Hate to be so bold, The Show is Going Down Hill, And I’m jumping ship. He does not have the same flair. This is not his seat, ABC needs to try again, find someone else.

September 4, 2013 at 1:16 pm
(9) Lilyofthefields says:

Saw the show – it just got dumbed down by 100%! Show is going to fade pretty soon if someone doesn’t win that million dollar prize! Since the new format (what 2 or 3 years now?), the regular questions are as easy as can be, almost boring and no one can get past $100,000.00 or a few at $200,000 the most as the questions are really obscure. It isn’t fun to watch when you never get the satisfaction of anyone winning!!

September 5, 2013 at 1:39 pm
(10) jimbo says:

The new host sucks. He waits too long to confirm answers, to the point of being ridiculous. Won’t watch again unless this stupid ‘suspense’ tactic is changed.

Viewers are not idiots!

September 5, 2013 at 1:41 pm
(11) stacy says:

don’t like it

September 5, 2013 at 8:07 pm
(12) angel says:

I am absolutely disappointed. All the celebrities in Hollywood and this is what they settle for. Looks like someone is wanting “Who wants to be a millionaire ?” off the air.

September 6, 2013 at 12:33 pm
(13) LoKi says:

I’ve been watching it this week, his first week, and he is horrible!! Nobody can top Meredith, but how on earth did they arrive at him for a replacement? Just about anyone would have been better, he does not work for this at all.

September 10, 2013 at 9:24 am
(14) jack says:

The show has become unwatchable with the so called entertainer.He was likely hired because Steve Harvey is such a success on Family Feud.Harvey’s shtick works on Feud because the questions are common knowledge.The intellectual theme of this quiz show demands a host that at least can read the questions properly.His shouts of “the hood” phrases like “ma man” do not fit here. It looked like an embarrassing minstrel show.He pulled the class of the show straight into the gutter.If they wanted so badly to hire someone black Alicia Tyler would have been the right fit.Intelligent and pleasant not stupid and obnoxious like Cedric.So what ‘s next Chris Tucker to replace Alex Trebek on Jeopardy?

September 11, 2013 at 7:52 pm
(15) lily says:

I attempted to watch the new host twice but couldn’t take the lack of intelligence this show requires…He has difficulty reading the questions and whereas Meredith was warm and was able to hug all,.most would probably not want to be hugged by Cedric.

September 11, 2013 at 10:24 pm
(16) RW says:

I agree with most comments here, I cant watch anymore… just not the same

September 13, 2013 at 12:44 pm
(17) SL says:

New host Cedric is just horrific!!! We are avid Millionaire fans. He is uncomfortable to watch with his suit and hat…looks like he is just stopping by, and his lingo is very offensive. Please wake up and REPLACE HIM quickly.

September 16, 2013 at 3:17 pm
(18) Ripple says:

I’ve always loved Millionare, but Cedric as the host just isn’t working. At all. Meredith had a great personality as the host; she was a natural fit. She was witty, intelligent and well spoken. Cedric is abrasive, talks in short sentences, and rarely says anything other than, “You’re right!” It’s almost as if he doesn’t know what to say when the question is answered correctly, and it shows. Even while reading the questions, he often skips words and sometimes goes as far as mispronouncing words. Add all this to his <I> slightly</I> leading comments while the contestant is choosing an answer, and you have the shell of a game show that used to be.

<b>As of now, Millionare’s ship is sinking.</b>

Many, including myself, were hoping that Cedric was just going to be a guest host for a short time. That is not the case. Because Cecric is such an obviously horrible fit for the show, it seems as though ABC themselves have lost interest in continuing the show. Why else would they allow such an awful situation to go on? Fix it! And quick. At this rate, the show won’t last another season, if they’re lucky.

September 23, 2013 at 11:04 pm
(19) Don says:

Cedric is just not the right person to host this show. Besides the fact he can’t speak properly, he sounds ghetto, abrasive and takes the job too lightly. This is serious money and people are nervous enough as it is without having some idiot yelling at you like hes yelling across the street to a bro. This show is bound to end quickly.

September 25, 2013 at 1:07 pm
(20) Anthony says:

The show has nothing but afro american contestants on everyday and that is why he was hired. I would like to see a mix of peolle but again the ship is sinking.

September 27, 2013 at 1:30 pm
(21) John says:

He’s been on for about 2 weeks now. I am blind and depended on the sound to follow the game. I am able to understand about half of what he says, so I have stopped watching because it is just too frustrating trying to get it. I’m sure he’s a great guy, and I’m sure he’s very funny, but he does NOT belong on this show.

October 2, 2013 at 5:15 pm
(22) andyhca says:

It’s unwatchable with Cedric. He lacks warmth, humor, and he speaks horribly! Also, I find his “uniform” tiresome and a bit offensive. The hat is a gimmick and it’s rude to wear it indoors, I hate to say this but it’s “ghetto”.

October 29, 2013 at 12:37 pm
(23) Maryjian says:

Can’t stand watching another minute of Cedric the so called entertainer! What the hell? Who got the ingenious idea that had been comedians could be game show hosts? Drew & Wayne on Price is Right & Lets Make a Deal where enough! But when Steve Harvey & this Cedric the goon came on the scene we quit watching! Along with half the country, I’m sure. Meredith was intelligent, warm & friendly, none of these qualities exist in this goof! Got him off the show before it goes down the shitter, along with Family Fued!

October 31, 2013 at 3:22 pm
(24) S says:

I won’t watch that show anymore, the new host is ewwww!!!! What is with the dumb hat

November 10, 2013 at 9:52 am
(25) bill says:

I don’t know what ABC was thinking! The guy sucks as host. He thinks the show is about the money first, and the intellect second. Sho me da moneyyyy!!!! ABC, just make a new show for him to host that simply gives away money based on luck. I’m sure those contestants would appreciate him. You’re definitely going after a dumbed down audience with this clown as host.

November 13, 2013 at 8:10 pm
(26) MARTIN PARIS says:

I find that cedric the entertainer to be so annoying and repulsive. I have completely stopped watching this show.

November 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm
(27) Margie says:

I came here specifically to see if there were other people out there who think Cedric is anything but entertaining as the host of Millionaire. Glad to find I’m not alone in my dislike of his “shtick.” Last year I went to two tapings of the show with Meredith as the host so I am on their e-mail ticket list. Not only did Cedric come on board but the entire studio set was moved to what I’ve heard is a very dodgy area of Manhattan. From the frequency of the taping ticket offers I receive, it appears they are having trouble filling the audience.

November 19, 2013 at 6:04 pm
(28) barbie says:

He is just terrible!

January 10, 2014 at 9:49 pm
(29) Kathy says:

I watched “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire” every day for about a year, now I simply can’t force myself to watch it any more…It annoys me.

January 22, 2014 at 12:09 pm
(30) Jay says:

He’s always wearing hat and severely SUCKS as a host. He’ll need to put powder on his head before he gets lice. I miss the beautiful peach.

January 28, 2014 at 2:41 pm
(31) Lee says:

Agreed with all above statements! I mean its a guy that doesn’t even speak properly, with all the ebonics. He is annoying because he talks like some guy from the hood. Not sure why a game show wants an african american as a host… America has a 15% black population, how many black people tune into Millionaire? This show has been dumbed down at least by 75%. Makes me cringe.

January 29, 2014 at 1:48 am
(32) Pat Muszynski says:

Are there any positive comments about CTE as host of Millionaire? I’ve always enjoyed this show…til now! He needs to go if this show is to survive. Love “Soul Man”, but this is not his forte!

May 7, 2014 at 1:07 pm
(33) Carole Eberhardt says:

This is the worst host they could have picked. His mannerisms and language are terrible and he never stops using the word “MAN” Several times he has used the phrase “bad ass” which is offensive. Too much idle chatter and banter with the contestants is also annoying . He needs lessons from Alex.