1. Entertainment
Carrie Grosvenor

Meredith Vieira Leaving Millionaire - Who Should Replace Her?

By January 11, 2013

As you've probably heard by now, Meredith Vieira will not be returning as host of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire next season. Her current contract covers the end of this season and she has chosen not to renew it. She'll still be on all of our televisions through the rest of this season (and through the summer reruns).

Before we get to who her replacement could/should be, let's take a moment to appreciate just how much Vieira has done for the show. Some people worried when she started that a woman couldn't possibly do a good job hosting a serious trivia show but I think we all know that she's proven those folks very, very wrong. She's been a fantastic host for Millionaire and I'm looking forward to seeing what she will be doing next. We wish her the very best.

Now, it's inevitable that we should speculate on who the next host should be -- and the show will indeed be returning with a new host, according to a spokeswoman for Disney/ABC. Right off the top of my head I'd like to see either Mark L. Walberg or Pat Kiernan take the helm, though to be 100% honest I've always thought Kiernan would be best suited for Jeopardy! Maybe that's a Canadian thing.

So, let's hear it. Who do you think should become the new host of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? And please, let's not start with shouts of "Regis! Regis!" -- I love the guy as much as anyone, but let's allow him a bit of downtime in his semi-retirement, shall we?

Photo courtesy Valleycrest Productions Ltd.

Comments

January 11, 2013 at 1:24 pm
(1) Jason S. says:

Regis! Regis!

haha, now that that’s over with let’s get to some serious picks. I loved Meredith and I wish she wouldn’t leave if I were to replace her I would of course look first at all the people who guest hosted when she was on vacation so we can immediately rule out Steve Harvey, haha, but I honestly can’t remember who I really thought suited the role best out of the many people who have substituted for Meredith over the years.

Whoever it is, I’d like to see a host who has the personality to perhaps bring a little bit of intensity back to show. Meredith had the warmth and skill but this is also about a show where people are trying to win 1 Million Dollars, that’s huge and Howie Mandel and Regis knew how to convey the intensity (NO I don’t want Howie on Millionaire)

If I had to throw out a few names Chuck Woolery maybe Bob Saget. If we wanted to stick with female hosts maybe Katie Couric, but she might be too expensive so Sherri Shepherd.

Mark L. Walberg’s name comes up a lot but for some reason I don’t like him for the Millionaire role

January 11, 2013 at 1:55 pm
(2) Aleshia says:

I believe that you should open the auditions to the public. There are a lot of amazingly talented people who would be right for the job if they were just given the chance. Why does it have to be someone who is already famous, who is going to have a hefty price tag, when it could be a regular Joe who is just excited to have the opportunity to host the show.

January 11, 2013 at 4:07 pm
(3) Wayne says:

You had my first two picks right there, Pat Kiernan or Mark L. Walberg; but my pick of anyone would be whoever is willing to keep the show in New York.

January 11, 2013 at 8:07 pm
(4) Jason S. says:

Perhaps we should start a whitehouse.gov petition to get Michelle Obama to host Millionaire, whose with me?! :P

January 12, 2013 at 12:40 pm
(5) Carrie says:

Katie Couric’s an interesting choice. I’m gonna say no to Bob Saget though – he was good for 1 vs. 100, but I’m not seeing him here. Never thought of Chuck Woolery. I enjoy him, but I’m not sure if he’s a good fit for Millionaire either.

Apparently Regis has said that he wouldn’t rule it out, but I just can’t see it happening on a permanent basis. Didn’t he leave his talk show because the schedule was getting too much for him? Granted WWTBAM doesn’t have as grueling a sched, but it’s still a lot of hours when they’re filming new episodes.

I agree too that it should stay in New York – though that’s not completely dependent on who hosts.

Hey, how ’bout Patricia Heaton? *ducking*

January 12, 2013 at 5:09 pm
(6) Wayne says:

Regis left his show over money, he felt he should be paid more than they were offering; plain and simple.

January 14, 2013 at 12:47 pm
(7) Josh Woo says:

I agree with Aleshia…then maybe *I’d* actually have a shot, and all those semesters of hosting USC’s game show will pay off!

That being said, I seriously hope that we get a different face than one we’ve become accustomed to over the years. Millionaire’s doing decent, but not great, in the ratings (especially after Feud left them in the dust), so why not take a chance on someone new?

January 14, 2013 at 2:55 pm
(8) Jason S. says:

I’d love to see Regis, but if Wayne is right than a syndicated game show probably couldn’t afford to pay him what he’d want.

January 15, 2013 at 4:53 pm
(9) Stephanie R. says:

As a former contestant and fan of the show, I’d love to have a shot at being the host. Why not do something completely different!?

January 16, 2013 at 8:39 am
(10) Wayne says:

Jason–it was a little more complicated than that, quite possibly Regis & Millionaire could agree on a number for that show. IMHO, I just don’t see Regis wanting to do Millionaire again.

Regis left his daytime show because of money, but it was more something like this:

Hey, I’ve been here 30 years and you (production company) are making x amount of $ each year. I’m a huge part of that revenue stream for you, I feel my time here is worth y amount of $.

Production company comes back and says, yeah, we make x, but if we give you y, we think that slices too much into our profit margin, and it might encourage your co-host to want more when it becomes her turn for contract negotiations; not to mention how much hosts of our other shows would then want, how about we give you z amount of $.

Regis then says ZZZZZ????? are you kidding me???? I have to be worth at least W to you.

Production company says, how about V?

Regis says, you know, I would’ve done it for T, but V just doesn’t sound right, I don’t think you and I can agree on my value here. It’s been a good run, you’re nice people, but I think it’s time for me to move on.

January 17, 2013 at 2:11 pm
(11) Jason S. says:

I like Stephanie’s idea, It’d be so unique to audition former contestants for the hosting position. I especially like the idea because I’d be eligible to audition! :D

Wayne, You know I wonder if a part of it had to do with Regis thinking that Live with Regis & Kelly really couldn’t continue without. In my opinion that is sort of true because Kelly kind of annoys me that that new guy I don’t know what they were thinking bringing him aboard, but it seems it is doing well enough without him.

March 9, 2013 at 7:09 pm
(12) Sandra says:

Mike Rowe, saw him on there as a contestant to win money for charity and he was hilarious!! I think he would be fantastic!

August 20, 2013 at 2:18 pm
(13) coleen says:

No one can replace her! She will be seriously missed by all her fans!

September 2, 2013 at 1:29 pm
(14) Barbara says:

I agree with Colleen. I turned on todays show, and it just wasn’t the same. I will stick with it for a while and see if I could adjust. If not, I will stop watching.

September 23, 2013 at 1:49 pm
(15) sheri says:

2nd week of cedrick and already showing reruns????