1. Entertainment
Carrie Grosvenor

Rich Fields to Tape an Additional 35 Wheel Episodes

By November 11, 2010

Okay Fields Fans, here's some good news. We reported earlier that Fields would be filling in as a guest announcer on Wheel of Fortune, and if the attached poll and comments on that post are any indication, you all seem to be on board with handing him the gig permanently!

A few minutes ago, Fields posted on Facebook that he's been "asked to voice some 35 additional shows for WOF that should bring (his) run of shows through February or so." He also added, "We'll see what happens here in the near future... but in the meantime I'm having a lot of fun."

There's been no official announcement regarding Rich Fields taking over the spot permanently, and I'm guessing that's because the powers that be are waiting to see how the 12 episodes he's already voiced will go over once they've all been aired. I'm not going to jinx anything here by making projections, but this is definitely positive news.

The funeral mass for former Wheel announcer Charlie O'Donnell was held yesterday, and by all accounts it was a lovely service. In attendance were Pat Sajak, Vanna White, Wink Martindale, Bob Eubanks, Dick Clark, Bob Goen, Rich Fields, and Randy West, among many others.

Photo courtesy CBS

Comments

November 11, 2010 at 11:56 pm
(1) Andrew says:

It looks as if Rich Fields will be nammed Charlie O’s successor.

November 12, 2010 at 4:23 pm
(2) Wayne says:

I would have to agree, either that or this is about as long as an “audition” can get.

November 12, 2010 at 6:16 pm
(3) John says:

I actually liked Rich’s announcing work on The Price is Right. I have a few friends who would’ve preferred Randy West or Burton Richardson taking over that spot, but it appears Rich is popular all over, which is a good thing. He’s one of my choices to take over as Wheel announcer permanently. My other two are Johnny Gilbert and Burton.

November 12, 2010 at 6:36 pm
(4) J Linker says:

It sure looks good. And it seems fitting that he is Charlie’s successor. As you mention, he quite popular and has an amazing fan following. Additionally I feel he will add a lot to the WoF cast. I expect “Wheel’s” ratings to pick up,… as least as much as TPIR’s have fallen, if you get my drift! ;-)
I’m sure hoping all the shows they have booked him for are a good sign! I’d hate to be subject to a torture like TPIR is putting their fans through right now. Especially when Rich is the “perfect” choice.

November 27, 2010 at 7:39 pm
(5) Neal De Jesus says:

Charlie O’Donnell was a good announcer he’ll be missed I was when I heard about it on Extra,Access Hollywood,Entertainment Tonight,The Insider,Inside Edition,The Early Show,Good Morning America,The Today Show The View and The Talk.

December 17, 2010 at 3:45 pm
(6) Barb says:

Keep Rich Fields. He’s the best!

December 17, 2010 at 10:50 pm
(7) Chris says:

I think Rich should do this permanently, and I would like to see him take over and announce “Jeopardy!” as well when Johnny Gilbert reitres.

Now, after seeing a player win $100,000 in the bonus round and Rich do a “ho-hum” announcement of the prize money, he needs to pretend its “Plinko!” and scream “One hundred THOOOOOOOOOOUSAND DOLLARS!”. Similarly with the other dollar amounts as well.

January 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm
(8) Susan says:

All your fans still miss you on our local Palm Springs station but definitely wish you well on Wheel of Fortune!