1. Entertainment
Carrie Grosvenor

More on GSN's Version of 1 vs. 100

By August 19, 2010

Auditions are underway in Los Angeles for the new 1 vs. 100, which is being revived by GSN. We've got some more details on how the show will work.

First, the initial order is for 40 episodes at 30 minutes each, so it looks like it'll be a daily. The top prize hasn't been determined yet, but will fall somewhere between $25,000 and $100,000. The mob will be pretaped and digitally added to the game, and most of the mob members will appear on numerous episodes, giving them a decent shot at winning some money.

The basic format of 1 vs. 100 will remain intact (though we're not sure exactly which version, since the original show did undergo some changes), and those wonderfully-worded questions like, "Which game show has been running the longest: A) The one with the pricing games B) The one with the giant wheel C) The one with Alex Trebek" will return.

One more thing that's worth mentioning: Bob Saget will not be returning to host the show. Since the host can make or break a game show, let's hope they find someone great.

Logo courtesy NBC

Comments

August 19, 2010 at 12:53 pm
(1) Mark Baker-Wright says:

Which one with Alex Trebek? He’s hosted more than a dozen. ;)

August 19, 2010 at 12:54 pm
(2) Mark Baker-Wright says:

(To say nothing of “the giant wheel” that exists on “the one with the pricing games”)

August 19, 2010 at 12:56 pm
(3) Carrie says:

Ha – I was waiting for someone to mention that! (Or to tell me about the other shows with a wheel. ;-) )

August 19, 2010 at 2:27 pm
(4) Wayne says:

I must be slow today, others beat me to it…

“pre-taped and digitally added”. Makes sense for budget reasons (I once heard the set took three sound stages), but could ultimately take away from some aspects of the game. The upside of this is that we could see any type of clips substituted for the mob–1 vs 100 monkeys on typewriters, 1 vs 100 muppets, or even clips of real mobs coming after the contestant.

I wonder why not Bob, does he cost too much, or is he busy?

I’m looking forward to this because I always loved the concept, but in this case execution is key.

Get ready to hear, “it’s 1 versus a green screen!”

August 19, 2010 at 8:45 pm
(5) Woodie B. says:

I have a hunch that they are going the ‘Paranoia’ route: Get 100 contestants (with webcams) to play online against ‘The One’, facing a video wall of 100 ‘online players’. I can see this being GSN’s biggest foray into the ‘interactive games’ category. I would definitely buy a webcam, just to be a ‘Mob Member’.

August 21, 2010 at 8:54 am
(6) Andrew says:

^THIS.

Woodie, that’s an awesome idea. It’s time GSN brought back the only reason anyone used to go to their website, the interactive games.

August 21, 2010 at 9:31 pm
(7) Returning champion says:

No Bob Saget — no loss there.

November 2, 2010 at 4:25 pm
(8) Renee Drolet says:

I am glad that 1 vs 100 is going to be back on; I would love to see the $100,000 Pyramid redone also. Those are my two favorites. Obviously it wouldn’t be hosted by Dick Clark but I think it would still go over well. I hope you come up with more game shows; I am tired of reality shows.