1. Entertainment
Carrie Grosvenor

Will We Get Pyramid Back After All? ATWT is Toast.

By December 8, 2009

Well well well. This is very interesting indeed! According to MSNBC, CBS has canceled yet another soap opera, As the World Turns, which will air its last episode in September 2010. Big thanks to reader Myke for passing the news along while I was busily editing another end-of-the-decade list!

I'm sure you all remember this past summer, when we were all speculating on what would replace Guiding Light, which CBS had also canceled. As it turned out, Let's Make a Deal took over the one-hour time slot and has been doing fairly well. I know many of you aren't fans, but I have to admit that I enjoy the show. It had a bit of a rough start, but it's really been entertaining lately. The other two game shows that were considered at the time were revivals of The Dating Game, which didn't excite many of us, and of course, the $1,000,000 Pyramid, which most of us had pinned our hopes on.

With another soap opera going down the tubes, will we get another game show in daytime? More importantly, will Pyramid be the front-runner? Anything could happen of course - it could be replaced by a talk show or local news, for example. But how exciting is it to speculate on this one? Also consider the fact that Oprah is bidding farewell soon, so there's lots of space for new games to pop up.

Oh, and CBS? If hosting was the issue with Pyramid, might I suggest you give Pat Kiernan a shot?

Comments

December 8, 2009 at 12:46 pm
(1) Myke25 says:

Not getting my hopes up, mind you…but if Pyramid gets green lit, I hope they:
A) expand The Bold & The Beautiful to an hour and keep Pyramid at 30 minutes, or…
B) pair Pyramid with another 30 minute game like PYL or even a new game. I think an hour is too much for Pyramid.
C) set the top prize at either $100,000 or $250,000 for daytime. That’ll give them room to inflate the money later.
D) consider dumping the celebrities.

Exciting stuff! I hope it happens!

December 8, 2009 at 12:59 pm
(2) Jason S. says:

Cool! I really hope they decide to put Pyramid in it’s place. I remember they taped the pilot near me so that means it might tape near me and that further means I may be able to audition! :) . I don’t really need 1,000,000 dollar Pyramid like it was in the pilot, I’d be quite happy with a 500,000 Dollar Pyramid or 250,000 Dollar Pyramid….Although 100,000 Dollar Pyramid would be pushing it, you might as well be throwing it back to the 80s. I admit I’ll watch and enjoy it even if it’s brought back as 25,000 Dollar Pyramid; I really liked Donny Osmond’s version.

I would imagine they will replace Oprah with another talk show; so I wouldn’t be getting my hopes up about that time slot.

December 8, 2009 at 12:59 pm
(3) Myke25 says:

And I can see Pat Kiernan doing Pyramid…he’s based in NY where Embassy Row would tape and he has a history with ER and the show already…but with Wayne Brady and Drew Carey already in the stable, it wouldn’t surprise me if CBS would want a host with more name recognition. (No offense, Pat!)

Coming off of his big Dancing With the Stars win, I bet they give Donny Osmond another look. It worked for John O’Hurley.

December 8, 2009 at 1:16 pm
(4) Carrie says:

I’d like to see it as a 30-minute show as well, but they’d likely save money stretching it out to an hour and not having to worry about extending a scripted program or finding another game show to fill the extra spot.

Maybe they could bring in Ryan Stiles to host, you know, to keep the whole Whose Line is it Anyway thing going. Heck, I’d even like to see Mark Walberg do it.

December 8, 2009 at 2:30 pm
(5) Carrie says:

Jason – just to make things more interesting, the Bonnie Hunt talk show is also getting the axe. There’s already a couple of new ones floating around – I think Nancy Grace is getting one, although I haven’t been paying much attention to her or her show.

Looks like there’s a bit of a shakeup coming with daytime TV, at any rate. I sure don’t see any reason why new game shows wouldn’t be considered!

December 8, 2009 at 8:03 pm
(6) Jason S. says:

I’m not surprised that Bonnie Hunt is getting canceled. I’ve never heard of anyone watching that. There are already too many court shows so I can only assume that we’ll have to get at least one new game show from all this :)

December 8, 2009 at 8:42 pm
(7) Myke25 says:

Maybe Bonnie Hunt can host Pyramid.
;-)

December 8, 2009 at 9:07 pm
(8) amadeustoluca says:

1. Make Pyramid 30 minutes long with 250K top prize
2. Put PYL after it as a lead in to LMAD
3. Kiernan is a good choice for Pyramid…Osmond may not be lively enough (although they MIGHT give him a look for integrity’s sake)…Bonnie wouldn’t be strong enough of a host for Pyramid…but it would be interesting to see her do that gig…

December 9, 2009 at 10:35 am
(9) andrew b says:

Who cares if Pyramid’s good…we’re rid of another soap opera! Yes, you’ll have to admit it – you don’t really like them either.

December 9, 2009 at 12:44 pm
(10) Myke25 says:

It’s always sad to see a piece of TV history end its run…and ATWT was a big piece of it. I was with my mother, watching ATWT (waiting for Password to come on) when Cronkite told us JFK was shot. So my heart goes out to ATWT’s fans…many of whom have watched since childhood.

Assuming that a game show(s) will get this timeslot, if we want more game shows to follow, whatever replaces ATWT had better be good. I want Pyramid to be good so it’ll enjoy a long run like the Dick Clark versions did.

I hope the folks at Embassy Row did what I have done a lot recently: look at some of the old Pyramid clips on YouTube…especially Bill Cullen’s $25,000 Pyramid. Seeing some of those $25K wins still gives me chills. Even after 36 years, the Winner’s Circle is still the most intense 60 seconds on television.

December 10, 2009 at 1:46 pm
(11) Wayne says:

From a budgetary standpoint, Pyramid would be good if:

1. Lower the $1m top prize, this is daytime and $250K is good.

2. Pair up families/friends or even perfect strangers to play, celebrities will only drag it down. This isn’t the old days where there was no TMZ and 24/7 coverage of celebrities (or “mammals” as Seth Myers put it on a recent Weekend Update). The draw of celebrity driven game shows back in the day was to ďsee the starsĒ as real people, we have all too much of that now.

3. I donít like the idea of stretching this show to an hour, I would rather see it paired with an original Ĺ hour show. Game shows in general donít last more than one year (as with regular TV shows), and fewer game shows last more than two seasons. Of course all of us fans on this site can name several exceptions, but be real people, it really is rare. Having an original paired with a classic just seems like a good programming move that would benefit both shows, plus whatever they lead in to.

a. I saw a comment on another site where Pyramid could be stretched to an hour. They could have four teams each play the front game, with the two winning teams facing each other in a final game. The winner of that final game goes to the winners circle for $50K. Every Friday, the four winning teams are seeded and face off to go to the winners circle for $250K. Every show in the week would build to the Friday show and there would be big excitement each week as teams go for the big money.

Keep in mind that CBS bought the pilot and has the rights until somewhere around next August, so this show really wonít be anywhere else.

As for the detractors who claim that friends/families wonít be good television because of inside clues, Iíd have to say the few inside clues we at home see will be worth not seeing celebrities who canít play the game at all or Stewardess #3 from The Wedding Singer hailed as a celebrity. I used to play every day while watching with my brother (muting the sound and facing away from the TV) and very rarely did we use inside clues.

December 10, 2009 at 5:19 pm
(12) Carrie says:

Just to be clear, with the million dollar Pyramid format, the top prize for each game isn’t actually a million. That prize was meant to be reserved for the tournament at the end of the season (or after a certain number of episodes, or a certain number of big winners). I’m not sure if all of those details were disclosed earlier, but it wouldn’t be a regular thing, and I’m not even sure if it would be a guaranteed payout.

December 10, 2009 at 5:51 pm
(13) Wayne says:

Understood, but I never did like that tournament format. Bringing back people we barely remembered (since no matter how many games won, it was just time in the end game that mattered) with the top prize sometimes not being given away at the close of a show.

December 11, 2009 at 6:03 pm
(14) Dontryl Alexander says:

These are just my predictions, but all I can predict is that:

First Game: $25,000, Second Game: $50,000
————————————————————————
Bonus Cards:

* 7-11 ($11,000), Mystery 7 (Trips, Electronics, or maybe a Car)

* Gamble for Five Grand (25 Seconds or less wins $5,000)

* 21-21 Tie (Contestant breaks the tie wins $10,000, If that is true).

———-$1,000,0000 Tournament of Champions———-

Three players with the short length of time in the Winner’s Circle; qualifies to play for $1,000,000 in the tournament. (If the same rules apply from the $100K version are true).

December 16, 2009 at 8:10 pm
(15) mike says:

What about bringing back the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour? This way, the local stations won’t pre-empt any of the hour like was done with the Family Feud Challenge. Your thoughts?

December 17, 2009 at 9:05 am
(16) Carrie says:

I would LOVE to see both of those shows make a comeback Mike, but I’m not sure CBS could pull Match Game off well. Something in that sort of format would be fantastic though!

December 26, 2009 at 8:55 pm
(17) Mike says:

Carrie, CBS could do it, just like ABC did, just minus the match ups. I always thought that slowed everything down. Just like Match Game PM, 3 rounds and then the super match and the star wheel. No Michael Burger version either.

December 28, 2009 at 10:23 am
(18) Carrie says:

Mike, that’s a decent possibility. The format would depend, I think, on whether the show will be an hour or 30 minutes, though there’s always the chance an hour-long show would be made up of two 30-minute segments.

I’ve been giving the whole million dollar tournament thing some thought too – since we saw a nice ratings bump for WWTBAM when they did their Tourney of 10, it might not be a bad idea to include something like that.

Don’t you wish the networks would bring us all on to be a sort of think tank for them? ;-)

February 1, 2010 at 8:40 pm
(19) Tony says:

OK CBS … here is your opportunity to bring back game shows to daytime TV. You already have The Price is Right and Lets Make A Deal. With ATWT leaving, you have an hour for 2 more shows: Let’s bring back Pyramid and Press Your Luck at their original timeslot: 10 am / 10:30 am (respectively). We have enough talk shows, cooking shows, judge shows on the other channels. CBS, be the trendsetter to bring the games back to TV.

February 7, 2010 at 12:05 pm
(20) Eugene says:

I would like to see Pyramid get another shot at a return to television but I wouldn’t mind seeing Password getting another try. I did enjoy watching Million Dollar Password at night.

May 17, 2011 at 12:36 am
(21) David Blanco says:

According to GSN Message boards, there is a $500,000 pyramid logo that GSN got the rights to air.

January 3, 2012 at 5:52 pm
(22) mike says:

too bad pyramid was never revived, especially after oprah left the air. maybe she could revive it on her floundering cable network